The Beanpot, Lynn, MA July 2, 2018

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

serious drill moves?. I agree those can be very cool to BUT I can tell you try doing teaching and judging a well put together random move. It is no joke.

I understand what you mean.  It's not random to teach it, it requires great coordination, and there is no guide (e.g. charts, etc).  It's just lazy on the part of the visual designer to have scattered jazz running be the transition between every moment.  In addition, it's not anything that makes people applaud... except during those rare, well chosen times when the scatter is the effect.  

44 minutes ago, craiga said:

No doubt that they are scoring well in the visual category....but that may not hold up against the California teams later this month.  The trouble is, as I'm sure you'll agree, that which is rewarded in DCI is perpetuated.  I truly hope that creative, musical visual design is not on the cusp of being replaced by this movement.

To my eye, Bluecoats are doing more "drill" and use much more of the field than Vanguard who are arguably doing the most downfield "staging" in their visual design of anyone. It would appear that the judging community is scoring this type of approach well (when well executed and designed) on both coasts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I understand what you mean.  It's not random to teach it, it requires great coordination, and there is no guide (e.g. charts, etc).  It's just lazy on the part of the visual designer to have scattered jazz running be the transition between every moment.  In addition, it's not anything that makes people applaud... except during those rare, well chosen times when the scatter is the effect.  

It's not lazy at all IMO When all that scatter stuff started a few decades ago YES it was kinda lazy. I know designers who couldn't get people from one place to another did it. It's not like that at all now, You can't get away with it. It all has to make sense. I do think Bloo has a combination of all of it this year and seems to be working..JMO, of course:smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

CAdets will be the 2018 wild card no one expected if they continue.

Saw them several times this week, and can confirm that they are on a steep trajectory of improvement.  Much improvement alone between Saturday and Sunday.  This is not the GH Cadets.  Their achievement will get better, not worse.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

It's not lazy at all IMO When all that scatter stuff started a few decades ago YES it was kinda lazy. I know designers who couldn't get people from one place to another did it. It's not like that at all now, You can't get away with it. It all has to make sense.

I disagree with it being rewarded as effective.  

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

serious drill moves?. I agree those can be very cool to BUT I can tell you try doing teaching and judging a well put together random move. It is no joke.

Much easier to explain and teach and clean a file than coordinate random ( not random at all )  movement

Teaching it is harder?? Maybe. But it's one less thing to clean with detail

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

Saw them several times this week, and can confirm that they are on a steep trajectory of improvement.  Much improvement alone between Saturday and Sunday.  This is not the GH Cadets.  Their achievement will get better, not worse.  

Agree, I think also with now found fresh air in the organization, feeling behind the 8 ball somewhat, controversy and a deeply rooted sense of fight from the Holdy Name days instilled in the DNA. , it can be a possible formula for success far beyond most would have thought as well as expected.

• Like 1

Just now, horndevil said:

Teaching it is harder?? Maybe. But it's one less thing to clean with detail

that is not true at all. Ive seen corps spend literally days doing it...there is way more detail with every member than looking at a line and telling one person to move here or there

Just now, GUARDLING said:

that is not true at all. Ive seen corps spend literally days doing it...there is way more detail with every member than looking at a line and telling one person to move here or there

As someone who's taught it at several different levels, I respectfully disagree