The Beanpot, Lynn, MA July 2, 2018

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

well we can disagree. I for sure know the difficulty in it and IF and I do mean IF it is done well reward should be granted

Honestly, it’s not a matter of opinion. You see in the scores it being rewarded when designed and executed well, and debited when not. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

There are many examples of crowds applauding (even standing O) for great (and risky) drill moments.  Never have I witnessed a scatter jazz run get such a response.  

Well, sure. Scatter drill is used a lot as transitional material to a climax. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

that is not true at all. Ive seen corps spend literally days doing it...there is way more detail with every member than looking at a line and telling one person to move here or there

What does "hard to teach" have to do with " deserving to be rewarded" ?   Conventional drill is easier to teach because the designer has done ALL the work before a member ever sees it.  Scatter drill is taught ad hoc and far more difficult to teach because the designers didn't do the work BEFORE the members sees it.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

or to set the mood for the climax. 

Absolutely! Not be insulting to Edirker, because I know it’s not what he is driving at, but scoring is not an applause-o-meter. Does crowd reaction matter? Of course! It’s one part of the equation, but not the only factor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

What does "hard to teach" have to do with " deserving to be rewarded" ?   Conventional drill is easier to teach because the designer has done ALL the work before a member ever sees it.  Scatter drill is taught ad hoc and far more difficult to teach because the designers didn't do the work BEFORE the members sees it.  

Has nothing to do with reward nor does the conventional drill. It has alluded that scatter drills were cheating of some sort or easier to do, which it is not. Again, a misconception is that the scatter or random movement wasn't planned out, maybe with some but those who do it successfully, simply not true.

1 minute ago, mort2885 said:

Absolutely! Not be insulting to Edirker, because I know it’s not what he is driving at, but scoring is not an applause-o-meter. Does crowd reaction matter? Of course! It’s one part of the equation, but not the only factor. 

YES, and if everything was about standing Os then they wouldn't mean anything would it. Usually, even with conventional drill is the build-up to that moment which makes people stand.

• Like 1