The Beanpot, Lynn, MA July 2, 2018

19 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

So the folks here stating that you’re wrong who have taught DCI and toon WGI groups, and all the judges with decades of experience rewarding “scatter drill” or staging as I prefer to describe it are all just “absurd”

On this point ? Yes.  Absolutely

Do  basebsall umpires with 30 years of experience, some in the Hall of Fame for expertise in calling ball and strikes, sometimes make absurd calls and observations, and get things completely wrong sometimes ?. I know, what a silly question right ?  Of course they do. We don't judge the merits of someone's observations by what little or what extensive knowledge they have. We judged it my the merits of the observation they make  tself. Whether someone is a rookie or has 50 years of experience with drill, if they are attempting to push a narrative that a scatter drill is more difficult to create and execute than a Serious Drill, well, excuse me, but they are full of beans. Period. The fact that someone that is saying such a ludicrous observation has years of experience in Drill, makes their observation even MORE absurd, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

Yikes. You think cadets should be struggling to be top 12?  :(

NO!!!!!! 

I just feel they are not top 6 at this time. I have not seen groups like Phantom or Blue Knights yet and I question where judges will place Cadets when they meet some of the other potential top 12 corps. With all they have been dealing with, 8 or 9 could be a very good accomplishment  and a great building block for the future! 

2 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

I question where judges will place Cadets when they meet some of the other potential top 12 corps. 

Well, the Cadets already competed head to head with Phantom. Blue Stars and Crossmen this season, so you actually have some evidence of where judges will place them.

4 hours ago, fsthnds said:

NO!!!!!! 

I just feel they are not top 6 at this time. I have not seen groups like Phantom or Blue Knights yet and I question where judges will place Cadets when they meet some of the other potential top 12 corps. With all they have been dealing with, 8 or 9 could be a very good accomplishment  and a great building block for the future! 

Oh ok. It’s just that being overscored by 5 points would put them near 12th-14th :)

On 7/3/2018 at 2:25 PM, GUARDLING said:

What appears to be simply running or even scatter moments are far more coordinated and difficult than most people realize.  

... but even if so, scatter is much more fault tolerant.  Both form and technique can be abandoned in the transition.  Marching in formation requires more simultaneous skills to be perfected, and it therefore ought to be a higher scoring achievement.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2018 at 3:05 PM, GUARDLING said:

You couldn't be more wrong about scatter drill, It is extremely hard to coordinate.  What looks random takes an incredible amount of time to make sure every pathway is the same time after time.

But in scatter, it is not necessary for every pathway to be exactly the same in each performance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

... but even if so, scatter is much more fault tolerant.  Both form and technique can be abandoned in the transition.  Marching in formation requires more simultaneous skills to be perfected, and it therefore ought to be a higher scoring achievement.

Actually, both take tremendous skill. When something looks easy, random, there is very much a skill set there and has to be done the same way, same path same interaction time after time 1 slip and it comes down. Achievement in either deserves high scoring when done well. It also is very easy to see when done well and not. It can be judged easily, and has been