Tim K

The Beanpot, Lynn, MA July 2, 2018

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Tim K said:

The forecast for Portsmouth, RI is 83 degrees, 10% chance of rain,  Cranston, 90 degrees with a 40% chance of thunderstorms. Not sure why there is such a difference in communities that are about 20 miles apart, driving, 10 as the crow flies.

usually when the corps are in New England, there can be iffy weather days. I know there have been scorchers and one year, maybe 2014, it was rainy and unseasonably cold.

Do they stay at Portsmouth Priory or Portsmouth High?

Roger Williams U across the Mt. Hope Bridge to Bristol, same river, same water on either shore.. (I was just using the similarity in names as the mms are finding these Yankee English very repetitious in naming their towns...Scituate, Ma and less than 30 miles away Scituate, RI for instance.)  Portsmouth Priory (now an Abbey, no, or demoted again is too noisy with the big Wind Turbine. Portsmouth Hi is home of football country.

Corps will do 3 parades tomorrow to spread the Americana and Unity love. End at Wakefield.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mead09 said:

 

 

Cadets are obviously in transition but I really enjoyed their show especially last night. So happy to see them on the field with what is clearly a top 12 show. Well done indeed! Just one thought though: At Lawrence, just as the corps entered the field, a young person (From the booster stand I think) came up the stairs to watch the corps. He was dressed in a traditional Maroon and Gold, Cadets uniform. We glanced at him and then over at the field and the thought/image just happened: How great would it be to have the Cadets enter the arena in Indy, wearing their Maroon and Gold. The crowd would go wild!

  

 

At the home shows (Allentown, maybe Clifton this week) the DMs wore the traditional uniform. It is featured in the last two numbers if you look at the design of the two flash flags used by the guard for the closing few minutes. The first, a white flag, has the design of the bric-brac from the sleeves of the maroon jackets; the second is a photo in black and white of the traditional Cadets' jacket with cross braid, white diagonal cross belt and silver buckle. Watch the drill and you'll see glimmers of the same.

The young man in the stands in the traditional maroon uniform is a member of the recruiting and souvenir staff who sneaks over to view the corps.  Usually drum corps veterans in the stands ask, "Where's your two?" (meaning his accompanying Cadet as always in two when in uniform.) The answer from this veteran is priceless: "When you fill out the sign-up interest form and come to audition in November, you have the chance to be my two. Why don't you?)  P.S. He's a recently age-out vet, one of the many working this year to continue the corps' legacy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Not there, but on periscope it appeared Cadets had a solid run. It was a bit shaky Saturday but looked more locked in tonight, like they are getting their feet a little under better control 

its always amazing how fast all the corps improve these first couple weeks each season!

absolutely. Of course, Lawrence, Lynn, and Cranston are smaller stadiums with the crowd right in the faces of the front ensemble. JBC is set back, as you know. Corps is also adjusting well to the heat and humidity as the week progresses.  Texas-tour training it seems. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 ' Have to agree with both Mead90 and FSTHNDS above posted reviews, assessments, observations of the Lawrence and Lynn shows with the respective Corps there. So I won't be redundant, repetitive. Its great that for all intents and purposes now, Boston Crusaders and Carolina Crown at the moment are locked into a terrific competition,  both having excellent Corps and shows this summer, and both offering such a diverse offering of great entertainment value, imo. Both Cadets and Spirit are better than expected this season too, and the Bluecoats keep the fans engaged with their show from  start to finish as well. Even the Open Class Corps, of 7th Regiment and Spartans look stronger this season than in previous seasons. This is all being accomplished these past few days with some unprecedented heat and humidity in the northeast as well. Bravo to all that performed in Lawrence and Lynn. And kudos to the fans that came out and watched in this weather too. Good sized crowds showed up in both shows.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mead09 said:

Bluecoats are no doubt talented and have an entertaining show but it is sort of like that of the last two seasons with what appears to be a bit less movement. The show relies principally on static group features playing some intricate passages. The large/colorful props and multiple amplifier stacks all over the field are impressive, but as a part of the show format, sort of restrict any real development of the production as the season progresses. Again, sort of like the past 2 years. It is what it is.

 

I have seen this comment a couple of times about the bluecoats show this year but to be honest, I don't get it.  Why do you think this is just a rehash of previous years?  They have different music, different vibe, different look, different drill, different theme, different props, different uniforms (costumes, I guess), a singer.  To me it is completely a different show.  Can you please explain? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, justafan said:

 

I have seen this comment a couple of times about the bluecoats show this year but to be honest, I don't get it.  Why do you think this is just a rehash of previous years?  They have different music, different vibe, different look, different drill, different theme, different props, different uniforms (costumes, I guess), a singer.  To me it is completely a different show.  Can you please explain? 

And I missed the "multiple amplifier stacks all over the field".  This year the on field amplifiers are integrated into the props and I'm not sure you can see them unless you look very hard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, justafan said:

 

I have seen this comment a couple of times about the bluecoats show this year but to be honest, I don't get it.  Why do you think this is just a rehash of previous years?  They have different music, different vibe, different look, different drill, different theme, different props, different uniforms (costumes, I guess), a singer.  To me it is completely a different show.  Can you please explain? 

I think Mead09 was referring to the Bluecoats' visual design.  His analysis is spot on.  I absolutely think that Bloo is an awesome drum corps, and I do like their music.  This year's "jazz club vibe" is beyond cool.  Having said that, it seems like for the third year in a row, they are doing whatever they can to minimize (almost to the point of eliminate) visual design.   Yes, they achieve great effect...but every World Class corps in the show had more complex, intricate, musical, and well-coordinated design than the Bluecoats. Give them credit,...they have actually outBlueDeviled the Blue Devils.  The Coats stand(or sit) in a set, play some AMAZING horn passages, then jazz run (usually in a double file) to the next set, and do it all over again.

Please understand my position.  I do believe they are a top 3 drum corps this year. It's just that as a visual person, it is disappointing to see them take this creative direction. I realize that the number of drill sets is not directly considered on the sheets...but when Cadets, Crown and Boston all have so much more coordinated ensemble movement it just seems a shame Bloo is taking this route.  And yes, this began with Downsideup, progressed with Jagged Line, and with this 2018 production, the evolution takes another step. 

Great drum corps...but their aim seems to be to put the element of visual design out to pasture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, craiga said:

I think Mead09 was referring to the Bluecoats' visual design.  His analysis is spot on.  I absolutely think that Bloo is an awesome drum corps, and I do like their music.  This year's "jazz club vibe" is beyond cool.  Having said that, it seems like for the third year in a row, they are doing whatever they can to minimize (almost to the point of eliminate) visual design.   Yes, they achieve great effect...but every World Class corps in the show had more complex, intricate, musical, and well-coordinated design than the Bluecoats. Give them credit,...they have actually outBlueDeviled the Blue Devils.  The Coats stand(or sit) in a set, play some AMAZING horn passages, then jazz run (usually in a double file) to the next set, and do it all over again.

Please understand my position.  I do believe they are a top 3 drum corps this year. It's just that as a visual person, it is disappointing to see them take this creative direction. I realize that the number of drill sets is not directly considered on the sheets...but when Cadets, Crown and Boston all have so much more coordinated ensemble movement it just seems a shame Bloo is taking this route.  And yes, this began with Downsideup, progressed with Jagged Line, and with this 2018 production, the evolution takes another step. 

Great drum corps...but their aim seems to be to put the element of visual design out to pasture.

I think it is right on to point out that they have outBlueDeviled the Blue Devils.  I think they have learned what has been successful.  I noticed this early on and is directly not what they attempted to do last year.

It's also to be noted that their VISUAL design is getting pretty high marks ... especially this early in the season.  As the VISUAL JUDGES seem to disagree with your assessment.  Seems last night the VISUAL was 1 full point over the Crusaders and more than that over Crown.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, craiga said:

I think Mead09 was referring to the Bluecoats' visual design.  His analysis is spot on.  I absolutely think that Bloo is an awesome drum corps, and I do like their music.  This year's "jazz club vibe" is beyond cool.  Having said that, it seems like for the third year in a row, they are doing whatever they can to minimize (almost to the point of eliminate) visual design.   Yes, they achieve great effect...but every World Class corps in the show had more complex, intricate, musical, and well-coordinated design than the Bluecoats. Give them credit,...they have actually outBlueDeviled the Blue Devils.  The Coats stand(or sit) in a set, play some AMAZING horn passages, then jazz run (usually in a double file) to the next set, and do it all over again.

Please understand my position.  I do believe they are a top 3 drum corps this year. It's just that as a visual person, it is disappointing to see them take this creative direction. I realize that the number of drill sets is not directly considered on the sheets...but when Cadets, Crown and Boston all have so much more coordinated ensemble movement it just seems a shame Bloo is taking this route.  And yes, this began with Downsideup, progressed with Jagged Line, and with this 2018 production, the evolution takes another step. 

Great drum corps...but their aim seems to be to put the element of visual design out to pasture.

 

Creative direction and variety are what most people I believe want. You are right about the number of sets is not on any sheet nor should more sets be considered better in the process ( or less for that matter) I think as far as coordinated ensemble movement, that can be broken down to where one wants the eye to go. IMO the coordination of a big ensemble verses many intricate but purposeful staging the later can be much harder to teach and make right then big sweeping total corps movement. What appears to be simply running or even scatter moments are far more coordinated and difficult than most people realize.  Now with that said AGAIN it does not make one better than another just different and must be looked at that way. Judging something different has to be looked at as what THEY ( the corps ) chose to do and are they achieving maximum effect doing it, Not what  they as a judge may or may not like or comparisons to others who chose a different path to achieve, theme, setting, effect, etc etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I think it is right on to point out that they have outBlueDeviled the Blue Devils.  I think they have learned what has been successful.  I noticed this early on and is directly not what they attempted to do last year.

It's also to be noted that their VISUAL design is getting pretty high marks ... especially this early in the season.  As the VISUAL JUDGES seem to disagree with your assessment.  Seems last night the VISUAL was 1 full point over the Crusaders and more than that over Crown.

 

No doubt that they are scoring well in the visual category....but that may not hold up against the California teams later this month.  The trouble is, as I'm sure you'll agree, that which is rewarded in DCI is perpetuated.  I truly hope that creative, musical visual design is not on the cusp of being replaced by this movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.