Full Shows for Prelims

I know this is going WAY back but, when did the senior / all age corps start doing their complete show at prelims? For several years it was an abbreviated show.

My first year in DCA was 1977, and we definitely were doing full shows by then.

2 hours ago, BigW said:

I think it depended on the corps and their situation around that 1975-1980 era. Some would cut the concert also to try and save ticks if they were on the bubble. Jim F. would have more details on that.

Heh... a bit OT here, but in Sun in 1980 one of our songs was so bad that some of us wondered if we would have been better off dropping it and taking the undertime penalty all season!!!  :tongue:

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... a bit OT here, but in Sun in 1980 one of our songs was so bad that some of us wondered if we would have been better off dropping it and taking the undertime penalty all season!!!  :tongue:

I see scores in Finals that year ranged from 91.30 for Bucs in first place down to 59.95 for Allouettes in tenth place. That's quite a spread! More than 31 points. More than twice as far apart as the first- and tenth-place DCA corps last year.

(And two corps in Prelims even had scores in the mid-30s. On a tangential note, does anyone know if the name is spelled "Allouettes" with two Ls, as From the Pressbox shows it, or "Alouettes", which Google auto-corrects it to?)

Was that just due to the vagaries of the tick system? Would a modern observer watching those two Finalist corps see them as being farther apart in quality than, say, Bucs and Chops, the first-place and eighteenth-place corps in DCA Prelims last year (24-point spread) or as far apart as Blue Devils and Pioneer were last year in DCI?

(Your Sunrisers, in sixth place with 83.15, or eight points behind first, would by that spread have been eighth in 2017, which is a much less drastic adjustment.)

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I see scores in Finals that year ranged from 91.30 for Bucs in first place down to 59.95 for Allouettes in tenth place. That's quite a spread! More than 31 points. More than twice as far apart as the first- and tenth-place DCA corps last year.

(And two corps in Prelims even had scores in the mid-30s. On a tangential note, does anyone know if the name is spelled "Allouettes" with two Ls, as From the Pressbox shows it, or "Alouettes", which Google auto-corrects it to?)

Was that just due to the vagaries of the tick system? Would a modern observer watching those two Finalist corps see them as being farther apart in quality than, say, Bucs and Chops, the first-place and eighteenth-place corps in DCA Prelims last year (24-point spread) or as far apart as Blue Devils and Pioneer were last year in DCI?

(Your Sunrisers, in sixth place with 83.15, or eight points behind first, would by that spread have been eighth in 2017, which is a much less drastic adjustment.)

There were some, shall we say, interesting score swings back in the tick-system days.  LOL.

I think the "prelims and finals in the same day" format that was in place through 1988 also contributed to some of those score swings.  Honestly, the years I was the championship announcer during that format... 83-88... I don't recall seeing any corps do their two best performances in the same day.

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

There were some, shall we say, interesting score swings back in the tick-system days.  LOL.

I think the "prelims and finals in the same day" format that was in place through 1988 also contributed to some of those score swings.  Honestly, the years I was the championship announcer during that format... 83-88... I don't recall seeing any corps do their two best performances in the same day.

88 was to be two days, but Saturday was supposed to rain so they moved it to Sunday.

trying to remember back to prelims in 80 and being 11....there was Bucs, Cabs, then....well....everyone else LOL

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

88 was to be two days, but Saturday was supposed to rain so they moved it to Sunday.

trying to remember back to prelims in 80 and being 11....there was Bucs, Cabs, then....well....everyone else LOL

In 88 finals ended up being on Monday night, 

Edited by Fastone

4 hours ago, traverbanking said:

1977 was the first year of full-show prelims.

Full show prelims were way before that, at least from 1972