Full Shows for Prelims

45 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And just the logistics of a judge writing down a tick for an error... how much stuff did that judge miss while writing, or while not in position to catch things?

THIS.

The sheets to do this were byzantine. The hieroglyphics to encode what section in what number as to what type of error it was looked like freakin' Babylonian cuneiform when you got done with them. And what real commentary could a judge provide to HELP said organization as to HOW to fix those errors? We can also add too much face into the clipboard, resulting in a few legendary collisions. Later on Cavalcade did away with the clipboard and just had one of those little grocery clicker counters they'd click with their thumb, then they'd just look at the number and subtract. Talk about some B.F. Skinner kind of encouragement to hit a button. :laugh:

And yeah, multi corps show, .6-.4, the rest tied at Zero. The Electric Pencil still got paid. :innocent:

3 hours ago, BigW said:

THIS.

The sheets to do this were byzantine. The hieroglyphics to encode what section in what number as to what type of error it was looked like freakin' Babylonian cuneiform when you got done with them. And what real commentary could a judge provide to HELP said organization as to HOW to fix those errors? We can also add too much face into the clipboard, resulting in a few legendary collisions. Later on Cavalcade did away with the clipboard and just had one of those little grocery clicker counters they'd click with their thumb, then they'd just look at the number and subtract. Talk about some B.F. Skinner kind of encouragement to hit a button. :laugh:

And yeah, multi corps show, .6-.4, the rest tied at Zero. The Electric Pencil still got paid. :innocent:

My Exhibit A for the futility of that system:

1974, my junior corps, we had three midrange players... two French horns, one mellophone... two of them had to miss a show for a wedding. I was the only one at the gig. 

I had a rough run. Worst show I played all summer. Ticking like a clock.  LOL.  The result???  Zero midrange ticks on the sheets. Zero. I mean, I SUCKED that day... they had to catch something!!! :laughing:

I wondered if it was partly due to the weird annotation system you mention here. Or the judges thought I was a soprano or baritone player!!!  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

12 hours ago, BigW said:

Remind me to tell you something along that line Saturday. :innocent:

I’ve heard from people in both of those lines. One raised me

One of the reasons that DCI was formed was to be able to allow full-show prelims. So, starting in DCI's first year, 1972, DCI had full-show prelims. The question asked in this thread had to do with DCA. A number of years ago someone posted that the first year of DCA full-show prelims was 1977. If someone has proof that this is not correct, please present your evidence.

35 minutes ago, traverbanking said:

One of the reasons that DCI was formed was to be able to allow full-show prelims. So, starting in DCI's first year, 1972, DCI had full-show prelims. The question asked in this thread had to do with DCA. A number of years ago someone posted that the first year of DCA full-show prelims was 1977. If someone has proof that this is not correct, please present your evidence.

My older brother and several friends were with Sunrisers in 1976, and I'm pretty sure they did their full show at prelims that year... and the year before, 1975.   I can double-check with them... but I'm 99.9 percent sure that's the case.

13 hours ago, Rocketman said:

I do know that my one and only year in Senior corps (73) they were abbreviated preliminary shows.

Not in DCA, 73 was my 1st year in Sky and I was at the 72 DCA.  All shows were complete

Edited by Fastone

4 hours ago, Fastone said:

Not in DCA, 73 was my 1st year in Sky and I was at the 72 DCA.  All shows were complete

That is my recollection also - I was with the Dips in '72 and '73.  I don't recall '70 and '71.