Mello rips

3 minutes ago, quietcity said:

Geez, mello rips go way back. Listen to SCV 1984 opener, Fanfare and Allergo. The mellos rip the space-time continuum on that one. And there were only 4 mellophone players!

The ‘72 and ‘73 version had a crap load of middle voices rips.  The ending alone. Lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Speaking of that, I read that Bill Watrous has passed.  He played that fantastic trombone solo. 

Jump to search

Bill Watrous
Bill Watrous (Photo by John Dugan).
Background information
Birth name William Russell Watrous III
Born (1939-06-08)June 8, 1939
Middletown, Connecticut, U.S.
Died July 2, 2018(2018-07-02) (aged 79)
Genres Jazz
Occupation(s) Musician
Instruments Trombone
Associated acts

William Russell Watrous III (June 8, 1939 – July 2, 2018) was an American jazz trombonist. He is perhaps best known by casual fans of jazz music for his rendition of Sammy Nestico's arrangement of the Johnny Mandel ballad "A Time for Love," which he recorded on a 1993 album of the same name. A self-described "bop-oriented" player, he was well known among fellow trombonists as a master technician and for his mellifluous sound.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Speaking of that, I read that Bill Watrous has passed.  He played that fantastic trombone solo. 

No way! He was a legend!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NavyCrusader said:

No way! He was a legend!

And a Navy Musician.

• Like 1

Spirit of Atlanta ‘78, ‘79, and ‘80; best mellophone parts ever!  If you didn’t start moving when those four guys laid down the melody in Sweet Georgia Brown, check your pulse.

No one wrote for mellophone like Jim Ott.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

There's an entire FB group devoted to (dare I say, fanatics about) the bass trombone -- Bass Trombone Appreciation Society.

I'll have to check that out! To my ears there is no greater duo than Gene Pokorny on tuba and Charlie Vernon on bass trombone! One of my coolest experiences growing up was when I wrote a letter to Gene Pokorny in highschool and he actually took the time to handwrite a very lengthy, encouraging, and eye opening letter back to me.

Gene Pokorny is the principal tuba for the Chicago Symphony.

Edited by DasTuba
  • Like 2