DCA Livestream

On 9/2/2018 at 7:09 PM, ykw said:

Yes audio keeps cutting in and out

My finals stream was fine, but the left and right channels were reversed.  (Leave it to me, of all people, to point that out.)

The bigger issue is prelims.  I missed the final third of Tradition and the first half of Southern Knights due to the power interruptions at the broadcast source.  But if they can re-broadcast those performances from a coffee-free location, that will make it all good.

Audio issues I had for Finals were very low sound during retreat when anyone was talking and it was going thru the PA system. During the shows could hear PA system fine.

And wierdie of Joey and David’s sound being a bit out of sync with their mouths at times. Kinda like a badly dubbed Godzilla movie

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I was mostly pleased with the broadcast. The biggest problem we had enjoying the video was something only Mother Nature can solve. The glare from the sun shining directly from behind the corps created giant shadows making it difficult to discern drill patterns. Had to be difficult for the camera operators to keep things in balance. For the final 5 corps, it was like watching an entirely different show.  So, hope for a cloudy day next year????

I suggest Box 5 makes their ever present, on-screen logo much smaller. It was as if a cube of cheddar cheese was suspended in the sky. A little annoying at times.  Also, the still DCA Championship graphic was on screen too long. Much more interesting to watch movement throughout the stadium even if it's just fans milling around in the distance.

The "Dave and Joey Show" between corps struck the proper tone. I would suggest a third/fourth member on screen who would be better prepared with scripted material to keep some pressure off the other two in filling time between corps. The lighter, more entertaining nature of the whole thing was a good way to handle this task. DCA has always been a little more personable than DCI. This was the appropriate flavor, no doubt, but it could use further development.

It was nice to see the broadcast in full HD. I did experience a few buffering issues along the way. My (very capable) laptop was connected to a 65 inch TV with superior cables. The buffering and occasional freeze are problems I don't experience with DCI broadcasts using Roku. Perhaps, a Roku channel will be available next time.

Again, broadcast revenue could be very important to DCA going forward. In-person crowds are definitely shrinking at all kinds of events. This DCA Championship wasn't able to fill an even smaller venue than Rochester. No idea how many purchased the broadcast this year, but it would be helpful if thousands more viewing from home could become a sizeable revenue booster for the corps.

On a related matter, the stadium expansion (so far) doesn't help to entice more people to attend. Both new sections added are well beyond the goal line. If only those spaces between the goal line and the 20 yard line would be completed, there might be more flexibility with family-friendly seating.

Finally, if any corps was to top Buccaneers, my guess would have been Atlanta CV . Good job, CV!

Edited by Fred Windish

Argee with DCA logo being in too long. Only way I knew I wasn’t hung was when I heard crowd noise from the stadium. Miss corps coming in.

As for stadium: wonder if lack of railing will make some people think twice about coming back.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

My finals stream was fine, but the left and right channels were reversed.  (Leave it to me, of all people, to point that out.)

The bigger issue is prelims.  I missed the final third of Tradition and the first half of Southern Knights due to the power interruptions at the broadcast source.  But if they can re-broadcast those performances from a coffee-free location, that will make it all good.

i will say this: I do believe the coffee served was the Dunkin blend, and was good when i got a cup at the end

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Audio issues I had for Finals were very low sound during retreat when anyone was talking and it was going thru the PA system. During the shows could hear PA system fine.

And wierdie of Joey and David’s sound being a bit out of sync with their mouths at times. Kinda like a badly dubbed Godzilla movie

i dunno, having spent a summer with them, i think thats normal 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dunno, having spent a summer with them, i think thats normal 🤣

Porkchops!!! :laughing:

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Porkchops!!! :laughing:

Do I risk asking Joey if he bathed with his dog here or....ask about the day Gibbens gave him real scotch during the show in 01 at Buffalo?