Houston.... I mean, Katy show- July 20, 2018

16 hours ago, NakedEye said:

This is sort on an aside, but I noticed that this show, for at least the first time since 1988 (which was the first-ever DCI show I attended), this event is not produced by the ExSightment of Sound, which was the Westfield HS Band Boosters. 

In a similar vein, the even longer-running Dallas show, always produced by the Lake Highlands HS Band Boosters is now gone, replaced by one in Mesquite instead. 

Both of these new events have corporate sponsors. I'm just wondering if the logistics/expense of hosting a show have finally become too much for these booster organizations and DCI is increasingly hitting up the lucrative uniform/equipment/instrument supplier market for the costs instead?

Just seemed a bit interesting that both of those longtime events got redirected in the same year.

To be fair, there have been years in the past where the Lake Highlands show was held in Mesquite, but the Lake Highlands folks (2007 is the one I'm remembering). I think it might be the alternate for years where they're doing work on the Lake Highlands stadium? (Though I've never seen evidence of work having been done on the Lake Highlands stadium, so take that with a grain of salt.)

On 7/16/2018 at 9:12 PM, bluesman said:

I remember that.  I saw a lot to great shows in that stadium and performed there as a member of Memphis Blues in 1981.

oh, MB3!  My dad really enjoyed them the years they existed.  

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, dureau said:

They will do really in Houston. I wouldn’t be surprised if they march into San Antonio in second place. 

I would be very surprised if they marched into SA after finishing in second the night before.  A possible four plus point gain, even at this time of the year, would also be a surprise.

So I don’t need to pack a sweater :lle:

14 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Tomorrow..... :D

How many of us can use your pool pass while you are salivating in the lot???  C'mon, we're DCP friends aren't we all? One bus, three buses???  Just leave the fridge full and the AC cranked.

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

The heat does not look good for the show tomorrow..... :(

I’m not sure of the local forecast (often they are more precise, at least in my area) but as of now (6:30 AM EST) Weather Channel has 95 degrees at show start time which is similar to the temps st the Lawrence, MA show on July 1. They did change the start time though. I hope the show goes on, scores, uniforms, etc., but of course not at the expense of the corps if conditions are determined to be dangerous.

Posted in wrong place. Never mind.  LOL

Edited by Fran Haring