Houston.... I mean, Katy show- July 20, 2018

13 minutes ago, bicsta said:

Interesting observation.  I remember the Blue Stars getting hammered for putting a large stage on the field and limiting field coverage in 2011 (reBOURNE).  I do see quite a bit of drill demand scattered through Vanguard, but maybe not as much as BD this year.  Quite the switch over the recent past BD offerings.  I think Crown is the most egregious offender of lackluster visual demand this season.  

I actually think Crown has a bit more traditional drill than SCV does this year, but it’s a lot less noticeable because their use of color is atrocious and so nothing really pops out. Thankfully they’ve atleast cut those hanging sleeves on their uniforms so that the visual looks a little less muddy. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

My apologies for not mentioning crown last night. I immediately got in my car and drove to SA. 

Crown had a lot of energy and that horn line was great!!! :) they really enjoyed themselves!

First of all, thank you for following my posts and it was an overall fun show! I would also like to apologize about the bluecoats comment. After sleeping on it, I feel like it was unwarranted. I hope they rock it tonight!

My initial thoughts of that stadium. I think I held it to an extremely high standard, but I am not a big fan of this stadium.... specifically the parking. People had trouble getting into the place which caused a lot of people to miss Crossmen. Let's hope it gets back to the berry center soon!

On Legacy Stadium versus Berry center;

Please lets keep the show at Legacy Stadium. The Upper Deck doesn't have the railing visual obstruction that Berry center has. There is far more room to move around in the concession area -- there is a grass area that anyone can lay down or hangout in and watch the show. And the positioning of the upper deck seats is closer to the field than how Berry Center is set up. Also the height and slight overhang of the sky boxes and media spaces keeps direct sunlight off of the spectators on the home field side.

The parking was mismanaged last night for sure. They tried to funnel everyone into one entrance through a controlled intersection at Franz road and a minor cross-street -- complete disaster. When they made the on the spot decision to route everyone back through the corps entrance - it all cleared up quickly. The unannounced $5 parking fee was an annoyance however. That stadiums has a lot of entrances for parking - next year they just need to use more of them.

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Well...

The Cavaliers are all male...

:innocent:

And your point is?

5 hours ago, KPinCAL said:

SCV, Crown and The Coats were possibly louder....

I for one get really tired of who is loudest brass. It’s more important to have blend and good volume . Cavies now have Kevin Le Boufe from Crown and they are proving what I just said, if you listen for quality of sound and not just loudness. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

My apologies for not mentioning crown last night. I immediately got in my car and drove to SA. 

Crown had a lot of energy and that horn line was great!!! :) they really enjoyed themselves!

First of all, thank you for following my posts and it was an overall fun show! I would also like to apologize about the bluecoats comment. After sleeping on it, I feel like it was unwarranted. I hope they rock it tonight!

My initial thoughts of that stadium. I think I held it to an extremely high standard, but I am not a big fan of this stadium.... specifically the parking. People had trouble getting into the place which caused a lot of people to miss Crossmen. Let's hope it gets back to the berry center soon!

Not everyone likes the same things.  You’re entitled to say hey, I don’t like this.  There is a tendency for some  to attempt to beat you into submission if you don’t agree with them. I don’t really care what anyone else thinks.  I guess that comes with age and experience.  

• Like 5

I know I’m going to get blow back from this post, but here are my predictions for going into Indianapolis preliminaries. 1. SCV 2. Bluecoats 3. Cavies 4. Blue Devils 5. Crown 6. Boston Crusaders. BD and Cavies could be switched and Crown and Boston could be switched. And 2 and 3 could be any two between, BD, Bluecoats, and Cavies. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dureau said:

I for one get really tired of who is loudest brass. It’s more important to have blend and good volume . Cavies now have Kevin Le Boufe from Crown and they are proving what I just said, if you listen for quality of sound and not just loudness. 

Kevin Le Boufe? I’m assuming he is not related to the Cavies’ director Chris Lugo who looks suspiciously like a put-together Shia Leboeuf?

?format=750w

14 minutes ago, dureau said:

I agree.  But can’t we have both?  Crown = good and loud. :14_relaxed:

• Like 4

OK, I've got to say this:

Somebody need to help the CADETS our with their electronics.  Last night I was sitting on 15 on the right side, sorry I don't know Side A or B.  I'm old.  Most of the field is to my left.  Now there is an interesting quartet of singers on the field ... on the 30 on the left side of the field.  However, where do I hear the quartet?  Yes, you got it, from the speaker on the 10 on the right side of the field.   This is totally unnecessary.  Don't they know what they are doing?  I did not have this mis-hearing from any other corps last night.  It also happened every time the quartet sang.

I believe that’s what I said. Blend! Sometimes a corps is just loud and doesn’t have a pleasing musical sound. I hear that in just about everyone of the top 5 corps. Both some good blend and some just loud for the sake of being loud.