Houston.... I mean, Katy show- July 20, 2018

3 hours ago, bicsta said:

I think Crown is the most egregious offender of lackluster visual demand this season.  

I actually think they have one of the more demanding shows. It seems lots of big movable things is what gets rewarded.

3 hours ago, dureau said:

And your point is?

It's a sarcastic joke.

A continuation of a silly diversion from the previous show thread.

Go check it out for a good laugh... or at least a good eye roll.

It’s awesome getting blasted after one question. It was all in fun asking “who was the loudest last night?”. I am not an idiot. I understand blend, intonation, tone quality, uniform articulation, attacks/releases, etc. I understand this is DCP and it is famous for rude experts, just thought it was just a simple question out of fun. Not trying to make enemies, it is just silly to respond to a question by being rude. Hope everyone is well! :)

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2

19 hours ago, scvjesse said:

What SHOULD be surprising, Jeffe77, is that SCV's brass is killing it this season.  SCV regularly has good percussion.  Even during their long bad streaks they've put out some competitive lines.  But their brass?  Somebody asked in another thread, "when was the last time, outside of this season, that SCV beat BD in brass?"  I was bored so I looked it up:

SCV beat BD in brass at the Stanford and Pasadena shows last year.

Prior to that, SCV's brass came out on top in Quarter Finals of 2009.

Prior to that, SCV bested BD in brass in Quarter Finals of 1999.

That's where I stopped. Needless to say, SCV's hornline this year is historically good.  THAT should be surprising.  Not the drum scores.

Absolutely, my apologies. @scvjesse  is this the strongest SCV brass line since 1987? I know you guys had a killer horn line in 99.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Absolutely, my apologies. @scvjesse  is this the strongest SCV brass line since 1987? I know you guys had a killer horn line in 99.

No worries.  I wasn't offended.  Rather, I was just pointing out that while SCV routinely has strong percussion lines, even in down years, their brass has not been their strong suit, historically speaking. 

As for your question, hmmm... That's tough to say.  As I said, SCV has had some strong brass lines over the years, just not very many that were competitive.  87 was an incredible brass line, no doubt.  If you're looking exclusively at scores, 87 had the highest brass score for SCV in the last 31 years with a finals score of 9.9. 

As I peruse the recaps: 
'89 had a 14.7 out of 15, which translates to a 9.8. 
'97 and in '98 SCV got a 9.7 in brass.  
'99 and '01 SCV got a 9.8 in brass. 

Of course, we all know that those numbers, and therefore placements, can fluctuate from night to night for reasons having nothing to do with performance, but simply by who was judging that night, who they happened to be standing in front of during the show, and whether or not they liked what you were doing. 

It's all subjective, Jeffe77, and we still have 3 weeks that need to play out this season, but I'd probably agree with you that this is perhaps the best SCV horn line since 1987.

• Like 1