Wausau, WI - July 5, 2018

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Where did that Visual Analysis judge pull those scores out of?

:tongue:

his azzes, or his glasses ( ..haha )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Saw this in the Blue Stars thread: Apparently, Phantom had electronics issues last night and started their show 7 minutes late. It didn’t result in a penalty (which is odd), but it likely had a negative impact on performance levels.

And Phantom’s show basically doesn’t exist without electronics this year.

1 hour ago, c mor said:

You also did say Scouts would fare better performing right after Colts.   Couple of questions about that...

1.  How many points do you think figured into the performance order?

2.  Do you think the Scouts would have bested the Colts?   See, I don't think so.  I think judges are competent enough to compare performances 2-3 corps apart, no problem.  It is likely more along the lines of, "the truth is the product is just not making it."  That, and the Colts were probably highly motivated seeing their opportunity to advance.

We shall see what shakes out....

Well I think the scores from last night proved my point more than thwarted it. Performance order is important, and when you are compared to corps that are outside your group it is not a good thing. Would Colts have bested Madison if Madison went on right after them? Possibly, possibly not. But I do believe performance order doesn't help you when you perform with corps that are a step above you. The judges aren't computers. It's numbers management. The don't remember what the Colts did when they are watching Madison over an hour later. They are comparing Madison to Regiment, Colts to Pioneer. The know Colts were better than Pioneer and they know Regiment was better than Madison. It's logical - Madison is going to look good next to their peers and not so good next to the Blue Devils. Colts were on Madison's heels. Perhaps they were better. Perhaps performance order helped them. We will see.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well I think the scores from last night proved my point more than thwarted it. Performance order is important, and when you are compared to corps that are outside your group it is not a good thing. Would Colts have bested Madison if Madison went on right after them? Possibly, possibly not. But I do believe performance order doesn't help you when you perform with corps that are a step above you. The judges aren't computers. It's numbers management. The don't remember what the Colts did when they are watching Madison over an hour later. They are comparing Madison to Regiment, Colts to Pioneer. The know Colts were better than Pioneer and they know Regiment was better than Madison. It's logical - Madison is going to look good next to their peers and not so good next to the Blue Devils. Colts were on Madison's heels. Perhaps they were better. Perhaps performance order helped them. We will see.

You might be on to something. Let's see what happens tonight and tomorrow since Colts go perform right before Madison.

4 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Saw this in the Blue Stars thread: Apparently, Phantom had electronics issues last night and started their show 7 minutes late. It didn’t result in a penalty (which is odd), but it likely had a negative impact on performance levels.

I believe there are no timing penalties before the first regional.

(That said, it's ridiculous that a corps should ever be held up by malfunctioning electronics--but most of them nowadays would be.)

Last year when Genesis had an electronic issue at one of their shows on FLO. The Corps was stuck in a very uncomfortable/unnatural starting position that would numb ones limbs, it was several minutes way to long to not affect the performance or even cause an injury. These type delays need to be anticipated so the starting position does not put your legs to sleep or worse. Felt for them that day.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I believe there are no timing penalties before the first regional.

(That said, it's ridiculous that a corps should ever be held up by malfunctioning electronics--but most of them nowadays would be.)

Correct.   There are no penalties yet.  What i don't understand is that all the shows still list a judge for this area.  I suppose they are responsible for collecting scores, calculating totals etc..  To me, if you are not doing full panels then that judge should also help with judging a caption they are qualified in.  Maybe someone with judging experience on here could let us know if its possible to do both.