Are Corps looking more & more like the Mummers?

The Mummers are the costume kings of visual design. My favorite winter event. I am not trying to take away from either activity but I think they have been drawing closer together in recent years in show design and attire. Who is coping who?

• Haha 1

I think it's an apples and oranges comparison, but no, I do not believe drum corps shows are becoming more like a Mummers Parade troupe.

• Like 1

My mind would have not even went there a few years ago. Madison last year and Cadets & Crown this year resemble more of a Mummers style and this is not a negative or put down maybe it's an orange apple trend that is just coming about.

15 minutes ago, tedrick said:

throw some Morris dancers into the mix and I think you've got something!

Saw some Morris dancers many years ago in England. On a choir tour and stopped at a small town to eat. They just popped up and gave a show in the street. Interesting. 

WOW thanks for the video. If that doesn't put a smile on your face don't know what does. How much was going on in that show they even built the pyramids. DCI can/has learned a lot from the Mummers how much visual did they cram into that short show? 

Does anyone else notice that, instrumentation-wise, Mummers are almost the exact opposite of Drum Corps? (Marching strings and saxes)

Maybe the future of DCI is going to be more like the Mummers than WGI? The Mummers found a way to make banjos, stand up basses and reeds marching instruments.  It's not for everyone but their ability to get a visual point across is just if not more innovative as DCI and in a more challenging environment, I loved both activities for years as being very different but now I am seeing more similarities. Scary I seen the future and it's the Mummers. 

That is what I was expecting BK to do. Oh well maybe they will make some changes.

• Haha 1