Are Corps looking more & more like the Mummers?

4 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Maybe just the bagpipes the Mummers do march accordions.

Have seen them match string basses in parades. What a weird set up....

We attended the Mummers Show of Shows several times over the years (it was an indoor exhibition at a Philly-area arena by the top 15 or 16 Mummers bands, usually in February). A great show, every time.

If I had to equate those bands with drum corps, I would describe them as a combination of the Bridgemen, Velvet Knights, and DCA's Empire  Statesmen, with some LSD thrown in. :tongue:

Unfortunately,  the Show of Shows was discontinued a few years ago.  

• Haha 2

...:dozingoff:...

...:unsure:...

:doh:... :lol:

That's my take on it.

More of an Ice Capades vibe.

Ice-Capades-Program-608x400.jpg

5 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Agreed I think they been learning for each other and is not a bad thing at all. You got to love the Mummers imagination and the precision of Drum Corps. I just think DCI can lighten up a bit.

It was discouraging that Michael Cesario said a few years ago that DCI Fans are to sophisticated for Corps like Velvet Knights and Bridgemen, sounds like fake news to me. That was the year of Drum Corps Bride did Michael's comment pull back on future shows like that, seems to have. 

I’d probably need to see Michael Cesario’s comments in context because he has praised Bridgemen for pushing the envelope and innovation and when Bridgemen ceased to make finals, he believed Velvet Knights filled a much needed void.

“Too sophisticated” may not be the best way to say it, but if we had another Bridgemen or a Velvet Knights, they would need to do things that match the tastes of today. There is no way a corps could recreate a Civil War set where the South wins as Bridgemen did, and given the reaction many had to Phantom’s guard last year, and to some extent the uniforms worn by Bluecoats’ guard, the Velvet Knights cymbal players could be viewed as exploiting women. We have not seen Bridgemen  in finals since 1983 and Velvet Knights since 1992.

I Get It. He did say sophisticated. I have a drum corps painting from back in the 80's by Wayne Hiller a montage of the Cadets, Bridgemen with rebel flag and Cabs (NJ Corps) working in Chicago in the 90s was criticized by co-workers for the people of color, now the rebel flag and the white people are in question, but only by Progressives that are a really just the minority that own the Media and TV Stations. So lets get this straight Boston can burn Salem Witches and that fits into todays society and is not exploiting women but is just as real as the Civil War. The so called journalist who are nothing more than political activists do not influence me at all and what I see in the real world is not the false reality that is portrayed on TV.

Michael's interview was in reaction to all the hoopla about the Corps Bride show and was an attempt to shut down shows like that and it seems to have worked.