Field Mics for Entire Ensemble

I'd like to add my humble opinion here. I don't really mind the mics when they are used to create balance. But I also believe that everything heard and seen on the field should be corps members, not staff, and performed live. That includes any live sound mixing, vocals, effects, whatever. I understand that in some cases certain soundbytes can add to the effect of the show, but I just don't see the talent involved in pushing the play button on a computer at just the right time. These effects, prerecorded clips, "lip synching" and such are judged as part of GE, whether explicitly or not. So I just think they should be a live, active thing. Mic up a member of the pit to read off some names and shout "guilty" while setting for bass/gong or something, at least that takes coordination, timing, and talent, and means that it has a chance to be imperfect, just like any other live performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Legoman said:

I'd like to add my humble opinion here. I don't really mind the mics when they are used to create balance. But I also believe that everything heard and seen on the field should be corps members, not staff, and performed live. That includes any live sound mixing, vocals, effects, whatever. I understand that in some cases certain soundbytes can add to the effect of the show, but I just don't see the talent involved in pushing the play button on a computer at just the right time. These effects, prerecorded clips, "lip synching" and such are judged as part of GE, whether explicitly or not. So I just think they should be a live, active thing. Mic up a member of the pit to read off some names and shout "guilty" while setting for bass/gong or something, at least that takes coordination, timing, and talent, and means that it has a chance to be imperfect, just like any other live performance.

As mentioned previously, the corps in question here has tried live narration in the past and gotten reamed for it competitively. 

Playing sound clips is not a matter of pushing a single button either.  Watch a synth player during voiceovers sometime. It's a little more complicated than you'd think. 

• Like 1

When it comes to narration, I'd much rather a corps have a pre-recorded voice. If Blue Knights 2014 did live voice narration for their show, I'd enjoy it significantly less. If Cadets 2014 used a pre-recorded voice instead of the live voice they used, I would not have been upset or feel like I'm missing out on anything. 

I understand the frustration with micing a hornline, but I'll never understand why people want unprofessional sounding narration/singing in the shows. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When it comes to narration, I'd much rather a corps have a pre-recorded voice. If Blue Knights 2014 did live voice narration for their show, I'd enjoy it significantly less. If Cadets 2014 used a pre-recorded voice instead of the live voice they used, I would not have been upset or feel like I'm missing out on anything. 

I understand the frustration with micing a hornline, but I'll never understand why people want unprofessional sounding narration/singing in the shows. 

Purists. We want to know this is 100% the product of the kids. Most of us also want the kids to make their own instruments by hand during spring training, to no avail.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Purists. We want to know this is 100% the product of the kids. Most of us also want the kids to make their own instruments by hand during spring training, to no avail.

Building character and strong bones... or something like that :lle:

If its a true educational experience being put on the field, I see no problem with a student learning to run sound and what it takes to adjust for different settings. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

When it comes to narration, I'd much rather a corps have a pre-recorded voice. If Blue Knights 2014

Eliminate micing , narration and singing and all this silliness goes away!! I bet more want that than not....