Minneapolis, MN - July 7, 2018

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

And even the Regionals finish the end of July can be too early, imo. Lest we forget, as recently as 3 seasons ago ( 2015 ) the Corps that won the San Antonio Regionals with all the Corps going head to head there, wound up not even medaling that season.

True, but that kind of occurrence is definitely the exception, not the rule.

The house will bet on the San Antonio winner to at least medal every time.

17 minutes ago, geluf said:

True, but that kind of occurrence is definitely the exception, not the rule.

The house will bet on the San Antonio winner to at least medal every time.

True enough... Winning the Regionals, but then not medaling is rather unusual, to be sure... but it just shows that July results, are not neccessarily August results. Blue Devils have won Titles when they lost the Regionals. Corps have finished 14th at Atlanta Regionals on July 30th... 3 full points out of 12th. (  as recently as 2 seasons ago for just one example ), and yet made Finals less than 2 weeks later.  The Head to Head competition at Regionals though is better than rankings where Corps have not recently competed head to head. That much seems true anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

When you are looking at potentially a < 2 pt gap between 1st and 6th place you know it's going to be a wild season. Lots of competition for the back half of finals too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

That guard score is a bit of a head scratcher but Cavies have had some strong guards the past couple of years, congrats to them!

You have to remember that staging of the guard plays a part in the guard’s score. I don’t think BD’s guard is staged that interestingly this year. Tend to spend most of the show in a big clump in front of the corps. Cavies have a super complex book with a lot of variety in the writing and staging. Clean and well performed doesn’t necessarily = 1st place. And to be honest, are we seeing anything we haven’t seen before with BD’s guard?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

You have to remember that staging of the guard plays a part in the guard’s score. I don’t think BD’s guard is staged that interestingly this year. Tend to spend most of the show in a big clump in front of the corps. Cavies have a super complex book with a lot of variety in the writing and staging. Clean and well performed doesn’t necessarily = 1st place. And to be honest, are we seeing anything we haven’t seen before with BD’s guard?

Agree about the staging. The Cavaliers have two great features where the entire guard is either on flag (ballad) or rifle (end of the second movement) and they fill up almost the entire field. The rest of the book is fantastic as well. 

6 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

With that staff! Only a fool would not look in their rear view mirror. Boston will continue to pull down better numbers. That staff has been there and done that with other corps, so there’s no reason to believe it won’t happen with Boston. 

Right? Historically, it's like combining Crown visual design and drill with Cadets percussion with '90s Blue Devils brass.

I looked into it once I realized I haven't liked Crown's shows the last 2 years but I've really liked Boston's. Now I know why - visual team moved.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the percussion scores in this show reeks of bad judging. Dropping both BD and Cavaliers scores dramatically was an insane call and looks prejudicial. There is no way BD dropped .9 in percussion and the Cavies percussion score drop of more than 1 point looks suspiciously like one judge taking it on himself to align the corps positions coming out of this weekend. It’s a prime example of why the fans are always suspicious of DCI judging criteria.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dureau said:

Looking at the percussion scores in this show reeks of bad judging. Dropping both BD and Cavaliers scores dramatically was an insane call and looks prejudicial. There is no way BD dropped .9 in percussion and the Cavies percussion score drop of more than 1 point looks suspiciously like one judge taking it on himself to align the corps positions coming out of this weekend. It’s a prime example of why the fans are always suspicious of DCI judging criteria.

I guess he was just calling 'em like he saw 'em...

• Like 1