Minneapolis, MN - July 7, 2018

Just now, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

Are you talking Mankato? I'm not certain on the details, but it's been around 8 the past several years. I think a few more groups could be accommodated though.

yup

Just now, tedrick said:

Agree Mankato is the best venue on the Minne run -- 

There were some great shows down in IA back in the olden days - Ankeny, Cedar Rapids ect

Council Bluffs too.

Ankeny is where we had to explain to the Cadets that Dairy-mades/maids (sp) at the concession stands is what the East calls Sloppy Joes: chopped hamburger meat cooked in ketsup/bbq sauce on a hamburger roll.

11 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

You know what they say about assumptions, and as to “picking up” on the “formula”, other words come to (my) mind. Emulate if I’m being politically correct, imitation/copycat if I’m more precise. When you “merely”  marginalize  a  premier organization in the activity to another face in the crowd you state clearly how you view the activity. I see it vastly different. 

:blink:

These groups work toward a rubric... Not each other.

Marching better is not an act of emulation.  It's an act of contending.

Contending with leaders in the activity is not marginalizing.

I apologize if my post indicated anything different than that in your reading.

But... I'm fairly sure that it didn't and you came in to this with something to prove... Although I'm not sure what :dozingoff:

Since I did a rant earlier, thought I would share a positive story.  During the break, I ran next door to Wild Wings for a drink.  I noticed the guy next to me had a wrist band so I started talking drum corps with him.  He told me he had never heard of drum corps until that morning when he and his son (9 years old) were out on bikes and rode past the Blue Devils practice site.  They stopped and watched and thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen and decided to come to the show.  They live in the Eden Prairie school district (as mentioned earlier, an excellent marching program) so I encouraged him to get his kid in the band program ... I told him it would change his kids (and his) life.  It would be great to see where his kid is in 10 years ... maybe on the field with a corps.  Really hope so.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BlueStarsDad said:

Since I did a rant earlier, thought I would share a positive story.  During the break, I ran next door to Wild Wings for a drink.  I noticed the guy next to me had a wrist band so I started talking drum corps with him.  He told me he had never heard of drum corps until that morning when he and his son (9 years old) were out on bikes and rode past the Blue Devils practice site.  They stopped and watched and thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen and decided to come to the show.  They live in the Eden Prairie school district (as mentioned earlier, an excellent marching program) so I encouraged him to get his kid in the band program ... I told him it would change his kids (and his) life.  It would be great to see where his kid is in 10 years ... maybe on the field with a corps.  Really hope so.

They do great things there at Eden Prairie.

Just now, xandandl said:

They do great things there at Eden Prairie.

One of the greatest shocks ever in Bands of America competitions was a few years ago when Eden Prairie was considered a bubble band for Grand Nat's finals and they missed out on semis.  They had such a good show that year ... I think the judges were drinking or something.

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

:blink:

These groups work toward a rubric... Not each other.

Marching better is not an act of emulation.  It's an act of contending.

Contending with leaders in the activity is not marginalizing.

I apologize if my post indicated anything different than that in your reading.

But... I'm fairly sure that it didn't and you came in to this with something to prove... Although I'm not sure what :dozingoff:

Busted, I’ve never liked your tone and “bottom line” opinionated comments.  I responded to you accordingly.  No need to apologize nor will I, just calling it like I read it. Nothing to prove just here to chat about an activity I love. 

On 7/8/2018 at 8:30 AM, GREENBLUE said:

Could you please remind everyone what box 4/ box 5 means? I always tend to forget the qualifications.Thanks.

GREENBLUE in Scottsdale: I will join the others who have addressed this question.

Box 1 means the corps RARELY achieves the standards set for the judged category; its score will fall within a range of 0.1-2.9. 

Box 2 means it INFREQUENTLY does so; its score will fall within a range of 3.0-4.9.

Box 3 means it SOMETIMES achieves the standards set; its score will fall within a range of 5.0-6.9.

Box 4 means it USUALLY achieves the standards set; its score will fall within a range of 7.0-8.9.

Box 5 means it ALWAYS achieves the standards set; its score will fall within a range of 9.0-10.0.

The following site has a guide to what these standards are for each judged category for both World and Open class corps:

" http://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2012_judging_sheets_full_set/2?e=1376842/2992110 "

Perhaps someone knows whether these 2012 standards have been modified; maybe DCI has a an updated site reference.

1956OPR (Michael) in Glendale, AZ (Phantom Regiment 1956-1960 Soprano).

GREENBLUE, if you will be attending the San Antonio show, let me know.

Edited by 1956OPR
grammar
  • Thanks 1