Minneapolis, MN - July 7, 2018

1 hour ago, dureau said:

Looking at the percussion scores in this show reeks of bad judging. Dropping both BD and Cavaliers scores dramatically was an insane call and looks prejudicial. There is no way BD dropped .9 in percussion and the Cavies percussion score drop of more than 1 point looks suspiciously like one judge taking it on himself to align the corps positions coming out of this weekend. It’s a prime example of why the fans are always suspicious of DCI judging criteria.

I ran out of tinfoil but can make you a hat after I go to the store 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, quijeros said:

They sound so good!

Do they still use 2-valve bugles?

Yes.

9 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

So much of this hinges on the assumption that BD still has a monopoly on slickness... particularly in marching.

I think a BUNCH of others have picked up on the formula (like Boston and Bloo) and BD is merely another face in the crowd.

I keep saying it, but the BAC numbers are alarmingly good.

You know what they say about assumptions, and as to “picking up” on the “formula”, other words come to (my) mind. Emulate if I’m being politically correct, imitation/copycat if I’m more precise. When you “merely”  marginalize  a  premier organization in the activity to another face in the crowd you state clearly how you view the activity. I see it vastly different. 

Edited by whitedj2002
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

You have to remember that staging of the guard plays a part in the guard’s score. I don’t think BD’s guard is staged that interestingly this year. Tend to spend most of the show in a big clump in front of the corps. Cavies have a super complex book with a lot of variety in the writing and staging. Clean and well performed doesn’t necessarily = 1st place. And to be honest, are we seeing anything we haven’t seen before with BD’s guard?

I’m asking this because I honestly don’t know the answer: does doing something “we haven’t seen before” actually count at all towards a corps’ guard score? I’d imagine back in the 80s and 90s there wasn’t all that much of a progression in what guards did

2 hours ago, dureau said:

Looking at the percussion scores in this show reeks of bad judging. Dropping both BD and Cavaliers scores dramatically was an insane call and looks prejudicial. There is no way BD dropped .9 in percussion and the Cavies percussion score drop of more than 1 point looks suspiciously like one judge taking it on himself to align the corps positions coming out of this weekend. It’s a prime example of why the fans are always suspicious of DCI judging criteria.

It might be relevant to note that this particular judge scored everyone about half a point to a point down from the other captions--his lowest score was lower than any of the other captions, and his highest score was also lower than the highest score in the other captions.

This seems instead like a judge whose mental timing of what score neighborhood we ought to be in is off by a week relative to everyone else. Or he called them as he saw them and doesn't think the percussion has caught up with the rest of the corps for literally every corps tonight.

In the future, you might consider looking at all the scores, rather than just those of the corps you're interested in, to evaluate a judge's performance.

• Like 2

Watching the shows again this morning, the takeaway for me is that Cavaliers, once the back half of the show is cleaned and complete, will very possibly be competing in the top 3. I can't say the same for BD. 

• Like 2

The panel last night was full of unknown faces who are almost certainly not going to be appearing during championship week. 

Im glad DCI is getting some new blood, but until that new blood starts getting opportunities to gain more experience and judge at championships, I’m taking whatever scores they put out with a giant grain of salt 

I'm going to rant for a minute ... I love the Minneapolis show.  Its a great venue and the weather is nice.  But the crowd (at least around me in the club seats) was the worst behaved crowd I have encountered in a long time.  People came in and out during the shows, a lady behind me answered her cell phone and carried on a conversation, and I now know (a) the best Italian restaurants in Minneapolis, (b) that its not a corps unless they use G bugles and (c) cool people call them "Concord" instead of the Blue Devils thanks to the ongoing LOUD conversation behind me.  There were several Madison alum around me and I thought they were going to take matters into their own hands (they were as irritated as me).  Rant done.  Loved seeing the Blue Devils for the first time ... they blew me away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3