Minneapolis, MN - July 7, 2018

1 minute ago, mjoakes said:

Is that even sensible bringing a baby to a drum corps show? Big hassle for mom and/or dad. Plus neighboring fans. And the baby must get stimulated like heck.

It was a nightmare.  Thankfully, it was only prelims.  Semis and finals were other people in those seats. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Is that even sensible bringing a baby to a drum corps show? Big hassle for mom and/or dad. Plus neighboring fans. And the baby must get stimulated like heck.

They need early exposure to music to have any chance of getting into a good college.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

They need early exposure to music to have any chance of getting into a good college.

That explains the long lines of baby carriages in front of the IU Jacobs School during my morning run. Jog. Walk.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BlueStarsDad said:

I'm going to rant for a minute ... I love the Minneapolis show.  Its a great venue and the weather is nice.  But the crowd (at least around me in the club seats) was the worst behaved crowd I have encountered in a long time.  People came in and out during the shows, a lady behind me answered her cell phone and carried on a conversation, and I now know (a) the best Italian restaurants in Minneapolis, (b) that its not a corps unless they use G bugles and (c) cool people call them "Concord" instead of the Blue Devils thanks to the ongoing LOUD conversation behind me.  There were several Madison alum around me and I thought they were going to take matters into their own hands (they were as irritated as me).  Rant done.  Loved seeing the Blue Devils for the first time ... they blew me away.

I do not tolerate that one bit. I am not shy telling people to shut up. This is exactly why It is important Flo gets better because I have really hated going to shows anymore. Who T/F brings babies to shows except inconsiderate jerks?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’m asking this because I honestly don’t know the answer: does doing something “we haven’t seen before” actually count at all towards a corps’ guard score? I’d imagine back in the 80s and 90s there wasn’t all that much of a progression in what guards did

No I don’t think it makes any difference. Range & variety factor into the scoring not the fact that someone has done the same thing 10 times before (hair flicks for example) but right now I would argue that Cavies & SCV guard’s have more range and variety in their written books. And I think the judges seem to generally agree. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Then Kindermusic. Let Drum Corps wait a little. (The Wife -- a Kindermusic teacher -- made me say that.)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

A few years back there was a 8 year old-ish that insisted on sitting on her dad’s lap. Well guess what... you block all my sight lines when your kid is moving all over the place. I lasted about 4 corps before I politely asked the dad to have his kid sit in his seat. The kid started crying. Needless to say they were gone at the next intermission. What people don’t understand is that for someone like us from the west coast to go to finals it runs anywhere from $2000-$3000 not to mention I’m not just a casual fan. Point being take into consideration your seat neighbors.  On another note I had a young gentleman have an epileptic seizure behind me and kick me in the head (not his fault of course) I’ve also had picnic goers with full on conversations going on in Pasadena in 2007 who only remained quiet while their corps was performing. 

After that first year in Indy I only buy the Super Premium seats so it seems the crowd is more respectful for the most part.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

No I don’t think it makes any difference. Range & variety factor into the scoring not the fact that someone has done the same thing 10 times before (hair flicks for example) but right now I would argue that Cavies & SCV guard’s have more range and variety in their written books. And I think the judges seem to generally agree. 

From what I remember, you’re someone who has knowledge on guard, but it’s very difficult to ever take you seriously when you keep repeating the dumb “hair flick” trope every time BD’s guard is mentioned 

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

From what I remember, you’re someone who has knowledge on guard, but it’s very difficult to ever take you seriously when you keep repeating the dumb “hair flick” trope every time BD’s guard is mentioned 

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I have ever used the “hair flick” as an example in one of my quotes. But if you can find where I have said it before then I’ll flick my hair and stand corrected.