Orlando, FL - July 8, 2018

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Crown drums had a 0.8 lead over Boston and 0.6 lead over Bluecoats 3 days ago (with Prosperie btw) and a 0.2 lead over Boston and 0.6 lead over Bluecoats last night. Tonight they lose to Boston by 0.4 and Bluecoats by 0.2. Big swing over 3 days. I'll believe it if it holds true over multiple shows.

These are pretty tight margins though.  I think this why the assertions over placement holding down or propping up any particular groups don't really work out in the final score.  I think Boston had a lead among the 3 at a point prior to a few days ago as well.  They are competitive... and Bluecoats apparently improved some things that they had control over.

There's at least 3 other groups to fit in there too (maybe more).

I'm more impressed with the guard win there for Boston.

These guys and gals are bringing it... somethin' fierce.  To pull 2 caption wins now against those two corps is very serious contending.

I REALLY hope that the regional panels don't start arbitrarily spreading out the scores in the slotting like they tend to do.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Content scores not looking good for Crown... it’s just one night and one set of opinions though 

i don’t really agree with the percussion judging but obviously I wasn’t in the field so I will just shut up now lol 

The percussion scores were spot on. Crown plays a lot of unison parts in tight formations and that’s why they were cleaner. Little depth of content, little environmental and physical demands. It’s now time to face the music. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The 49.3 debut for Heat Wave puts them in the mix with Colt Cadets, Shadow, and Raiders, all four presumably fighting for the 12th spot in Open Class finals in August. (Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devils B, Spartans, Gold, Legends, and 7th Regiment seem like locks based on early scores. Golden Empire and River City Rhythm would probably make it barring a surge from the four above. Guardians, Louisiana Stars, and Southwind have yet to perform but were safely in last year. Jubal can't bump another corps but will probably score right in the middle, like The Company last year. If Battalion or Columbians ever come to championships, that would be something.)

2 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

The percussion scores were spot on. Crown plays a lot of unison parts in tight formations and that’s why they were cleaner. Little depth of content, little environmental and physical demands. It’s now time to face the music. 

So what should Crown do, if they wish to remain competitive for the rest of the season?

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So what should Crown do, if they wish to remain competitive for the rest of the season?

THEY Crown might want to rethink the dragonfly uniforms. Just a thought. I could MAKE THEM GREAT AGAIN. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

:4_joy: Jim you crack me up. Keep entertaining.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

They have to do something that is REALLY hard to do.  They have to push the content above the achievement scores... that probably comes down to rewrites.  I think that's too grim of a picture though to be honest.  They aren't that bad off.

But for the worst case scenario view, it's like dealing with some of the Cadet designs over the past few years... getting to a point where you start chasing content commentary with changes and alterations while still trying to make sense.  It's hard to do and succeed at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OS2020 said:

:4_joy: Jim you crack me up. Keep entertaining.

Jim is correct on his observation.

• Like 2

Just now, OS2020 said:

Thanks for pointing that out I really appreciate it :worthy:

LOL, sorry, but I noticed it early in the season. Crown's perc is good, but I thought that might hurt them later in the season.