Orlando, FL - July 8, 2018

7 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

These are pretty tight margins though.  I think this why the assertions over placement holding down or propping up any particular groups don't really work out in the final score.  I think Boston had a lead among the 3 at a point prior to a few days ago as well.  They are competitive... and Bluecoats apparently improved some things that they had control over.

There's at least 3 other groups to fit in there too (maybe more).

I'm more impressed with the guard win there for Boston.

These guys and gals are bringing it... somethin' fierce.  To pull 2 caption wins now against those two corps is very serious contending.

I REALLY hope that the regional panels don't start arbitrarily spreading out the scores in the slotting like they tend to do.

0.6 margin in captions is not tight. That’s judges specifically saying they are noticabely different. I’ll give you Boston being tight with Crown and can easily justify that swapping depending on the judge and night. But for the Bluecoats to go from a 16.0 (highest Percussion score of their season btw) to a 16.9 in one night is pure magic. I’ll gladly eat my words if I’m proven wrong but Crown behind Bluecoats in Percussion is laughable in my opinion. Bluecoats are better in almost all captions (brass is a competition) but percussion is easily their weakest this year. That’s something I wouldn’t have thought I would have to say after the last 3-4 years of brilliant Bluecoats lines.

Just for the record, I like Crown, they are my second favorite corps.....behind the coats :)

1 minute ago, NCWVUFAN said:

LOL, sorry, but I noticed it early in the season. Crown's perc is good, but I thought that might hurt them later in the season.

So Bloo finally beats Crown in percussion and now the scores are correct? What will you say if Crown goes back to beating them for good after tonight? With the same content btw.

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

0.6 margin in captions is not tight. That’s judges specifically saying they are noticabely different. I’ll give you Boston being tight with Crown and can easily justify that swapping depending on the judge and night. But for the Bluecoats to go from a 16.0 (highest Percussion score of their season btw) to a 16.9 in one night is pure magic. I’ll gladly eat my words if I’m proven wrong but Crown behind Bluecoats in Percussion is laughable in my opinion. Bluecoats are better in almost all captions (brass is a competition) but percussion is easily their weakest this year. That’s something I wouldn’t have thought I would have to say after the last 3-4 years of brilliant Bluecoats lines.

Maybe, but last night in Lexington I noticed a big improvement in Bloo's pit (the biggest offender in perc scoring). Might have worked something out.

1 minute ago, OS2020 said:

So Bloo finally beats Crown in percussion and now the scores are correct? What will you say if Crown goes back to beating them for good after tonight? With the same content btw.

I would say I need a drink. But since I don't drink I will just eat a five dollar fill up. 

Anyway 

16 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So what should Crown do, if they wish to remain competitive for the rest of the season?

Nothing.  Based on this one score on this one night, it's all over for them.  They will be lucky to make finals.  I would be surprised if they finish out the season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Maybe, but last night in Lexington I noticed a big improvement in Bloo's pit (the biggest offender in perc scoring). Might have worked something out.

I totally agree the weakness in the whole section is up on the front sideline. I don’t believe it’s talent or performance really that’s the issue but more of just the book. I didn’t notice a change from previous shows but we’ll see what happens in the next week or two. 

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

I totally agree the weakness in the whole section is up on the front sideline. I don’t believe it’s talent or performance really that’s the issue but more of just the book. I didn’t notice a change from previous shows but we’ll see what happens in the next week or two. 

Yeah, severals runs they were crowding have been cleaned up, battery still has some dirty snare and tenor stuff, but I think that will clean up over time. Still behind and not working on the smaller details like some other perc sections.

Boston needs to be included now in the conversation for the Sanford. I’m a brass guy, and I was spellbound by the writing and technical prowess in Boston’s opener. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Yeah... I get you.

I just don't know what they did differently (if anything) tonight from last.

If they didn't change anything, then I'm with you.  But if they added someing they had been working on... even if only one feature, then a .9 might not be out of the question.  I don't know.