Orlando, FL - July 8, 2018

6 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I was at the show, and will have more thoughts tomorrow, but here are a few:

Cadets: horns and drums quite good. Guard not at the same level. I was with Cadet alums and went to the pre-show tailgate where it was told to us that the 8 girls with the yellow rope on side one represent "the 8" women who came forward. The show still seems to have a lot of chaos and not much unity. I'll be glad when they are able to get a different uniform next year. This one is just, so, so busy. It reminds me of the dazzle painting that was applied to ships in World War I to fracture the mass and make them hard to distinguish as a ship from a distance. All the fracturing on the uniform weakens the readability of the forms, as good spacing and technique fuzzes when you can't clearly define individual legs. They are likely to end up on the Island of 7th Place, but it's a good start for the future.

FOR REAL????

8 hours ago, wilme861 said:

I literally laughed out loud at the bolded part. I'll just say everyone is entitled to their opinion. And my personal opinion is you have no idea what you are talking about.

Well you sound awfully smart now don’t you

7 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I was at the show, and will have more thoughts tomorrow, but here are a few:

Music City was fantastic. We loved them. A great deal of thought is obvious in all the detailing of their show, and the kids looked like they loved performing every minute of it. Fantastic World Class debut. I think they may scramble the eggs in the 13-20 basket even more. What was the difference between them and several other recent WC newbies? PERSONALITY. Their show oozed it.

Jersey Surf had a good idea and then didn't max it out. You can't do a show about Mondrian and then have your entire drill be soft curves...

Spirit seemed to have a modern version of the jazz sass they used to have in the 80's, and it was a treat to see. Another well-detailed show. Doors seemed to create a lot of clutter, but I had rather a low vantage point.

Cadets: horns and drums quite good. Guard not at the same level. I was with Cadet alums and went to the pre-show tailgate where it was told to us that the 8 girls with the yellow rope on side one represent "the 8" women who came forward. The show still seems to have a lot of chaos and not much unity. I'll be glad when they are able to get a different uniform next year. This one is just, so, so busy. It reminds me of the dazzle painting that was applied to ships in World War I to fracture the mass and make them hard to distinguish as a ship from a distance. All the fracturing on the uniform weakens the readability of the forms, as good spacing and technique fuzzes when you can't clearly define individual legs. They are likely to end up on the Island of 7th Place, but it's a good start for the future.

Boston was the surprise of the night. I absolutely hated this show in the theater, but they were fantastic this evening. Thankfully, they threw the neon green 70's rock musical headband back into the ocean, and while there are a lot of aesthetic choices I would not have made, the uniform is enormously better without it. Guard was absolutely fantastic. Horns absolutely fantastic. Drums absolutely fantastic. Marching and movement technique absolutely fantastic. They tied Crown and I expect them to be in Boston's rearview mirror at their next meeting. Also expect them to take out the Cavaliers. Higher than that? Likely not.

Bluecoats is pure magic. It is a truly impeccable design. I teared up at one point because the detailing was so pure. The uniforms/suits are so expertly balanced with slight color variations and patterns that each individual has a unique look, but they completely hold together with a consistency that never comes off as busy. Same for the guard. Singer fantastic and the pacing is a joy. The drummers looked really happy with their performance, so perhaps that explains their scores. I'd be quite happy if this took the big prize.

Crown: great corps saddled with an over-designed show. The visual is just so overbearing. Everything has so much extreme detail and texture on it that your eyes have nowhere to rest, even for an instant. If just the flags were brighter and simpler there would be some clarity, but no, dark colors, animal prints, teeth, texture, texture, texture. My goodness they play well and with such power. Guard very good, but it is all just buried. Teeter totter? Not needed. One of the more bizarre moments of the (very long) evening was the excellent Voices of Liberty-esque vocal group singing "Let's go fly a kite" from Mary Poppins....accompanied by musicians dressed to resemble cockroaches in evening gowns... They get credit for really going for it this year, but I hope they dial it back a bit in 2019. 

Always love hearing your insights 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was 11. 

I’d have to go back, but was the original number 11, or were there 8 women in the first article with others who came forward after. This would make sense. By honoring those who first came forward, you are still recognizing the others who came later forward, but if you did have 11, then three more came forward and the corps did not change the design to include them, it could be perceived as not recognizing the validity of the claim. It’s just a thought.

Just now, Tim K said:

I’d have to go back, but was the original number 11, or were there 8 women in the first article with others who came forward after. This would make sense. By honoring those who first came forward, you are still recognizing the others who came later forward, but if you did have 11, then three more came forward and the corps did not change the design to include them, it could be perceived as not recognizing the validity of the claim. It’s just a thought.

The article a day later said there were three more.  No matter the exact number, let’s just hope it’s being taken seriously now.  I have my doubts. 

7 hours ago, NakedEye said:

Crown: great corps saddled with an over-designed show. The visual is just so overbearing. Everything has so much extreme detail and texture on it that your eyes have nowhere to rest, even for an instant. If just the flags were brighter and simpler there would be some clarity, but no, dark colors, animal prints, teeth, texture, texture, texture. My goodness they play well and with such power. Guard very good, but it is all just buried. Teeter totter? Not needed. One of the more bizarre moments of the (very long) evening was the excellent Voices of Liberty-esque vocal group singing "Let's go fly a kite" from Mary Poppins....accompanied by musicians dressed to resemble cockroaches in evening gowns... They get credit for really going for it this year, but I hope they dial it back a bit in 2019. 

Just my personal opinion, but this is why I really don't like printed flags that almost everyone is using now. The printed designs are really hard to make out the details unless you are sitting in the first 10 rows, it all comes out drab from up top. I know that they are more expensive to make, but I  miss the days of the sewn fabric flags with the pops of color and great designs. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, palmettomello said:

I  miss the days of the sewn fabric flags with the pops of color and great designs. 

Were flags spun and tossed during the period of which you are referring too?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The article a day later said there were three more.  No matter the exact number, let’s just hope it’s being taken seriously now.  I have my doubts. 

I've not examined the numbers, but it's possible that the 8 specifically refers to former MMs.  A common sentiment among them was not wanting to hurt the corps by coming forward.  This might be a show of support toward them.  

Edited by Ediker
typo, clarity

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was 11. 

Were there 8 initially? Anyway, that is what we were told at the picnic. They are adding in more subtle references. The flags all relate to the corps in some manner now: gold cummerbund, Z-pull, "frog" ornamentation, classic Cadet jacket, one has the chocolate drizzles of the current look, and there is another one but I can't remember it.

• Like 1