Orlando, FL - July 8, 2018

10 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Just my personal opinion, but this is why I really don't like printed flags that almost everyone is using now. The printed designs are really hard to make out the details unless you are sitting in the first 10 rows, it all comes out drab from up top. I know that they are more expensive to make, but I  miss the days of the sewn fabric flags with the pops of color and great designs. 

3 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

... The flags all relate to the corps in some manner now: gold cummerbund, Z-pull, "frog" ornamentation, classic Cadet jacket, one has the chocolate drizzles of the current look, and there is another one but I can't remember it.

Cadets printed flags are anything but dark. Really classy in fact.

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Were flags spun and tossed during the period of which you are referring too?

yup, Betsy Ross spun the wool herself on her own loom by candlelight and pedal power.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Just my personal opinion, but this is why I really don't like printed flags that almost everyone is using now. The printed designs are really hard to make out the details unless you are sitting in the first 10 rows, it all comes out drab from up top. I know that they are more expensive to make, but I  miss the days of the sewn fabric flags with the pops of color and great designs. 

Like I said in the Uniform thread, digital printing is dangerous in the wrong hands. It CAN be very effective. Bluecoats' printed designs are beautifully simple, theme-appropriate and provide great color impact. Cavaliers are doing an outstanding job of using flags that are part printed/part sewn fabric. That way you can have some of the customization of printing, but still use the metallic lamé, etc.

It ultimately rests with the designer, and some are far better than others at understanding impact and editing their ideas. Digital makes it so easy to overindulge, so you really have to use restraint.

A million years ago I used to sit at my COMMODORE AMIGA computer and create flags in some paint program I had that would let you spin an object. You can't tell if a design really works until you see it in motion. The general rule: simpler is always better.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Were flags spun and tossed during the period of which you are referring too?

Yes, specifically I was talking about up until around 2010. Watch Crown 2007 and note how well the flag designs compliment the story, music, and whimsy of the program. It isn't bashing you over the head with something like printed pictures of horses. For example during the "Dreamer" part of the show, there is a really nice fabric flag of a sunrise representing the morning of the race that really stands out in my head. The printed designs have its merits, like when you need a lightning bolt or very intricate design, but if its a dark color to begin with and features a detailed design like a lot of Crown's 2015 and 2018 flags, then it all kind of gets washed out. 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Well you sound awfully smart now don’t you

Thanks for reading the other posts of mine Cappy

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Looks like Eddie Argenziano was the percussion judge, according to the recap. He has been a DCI percussion judge for decades. I did not know he is still judging. He did GE 2 the other night in South Carolina too. 

Band director of my High School in the 80's too!

9 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Go back to the old formula like prior to 2017. I loved those shows. 

Get rid of Rick Subel? He's obviously working at Paramount, though that took awhile and much different activity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

the only top shows I really love this year are Cadets (obviously) and SCV. I like Cavaliers and Boston enough. I really don't understand Crown, Bloo, or BD (like usual)

Edit: Forgot MANDARINS! and to a less extent Crossmen

Nice add on the Mandarins. I'd say the pleasant surprise of the season and a very entertaining watch. They emote very well and the connection seems genuine.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, skevinp said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

This show has EVERYTHING: cockroaches in evening gowns, beetlehorns, vomit flags, giant toothpicks, and woozy predators
-What are woozy predators?
You know that thing where the guy from predator mixes his alcohol and prescription meds and lets little people ride on his belly like a seesaw?

SNL_1625_10_Update_2_Stefon.png

Edited by c.l.
  • Haha 9