Orlando, FL - July 8, 2018

Here is my article for Drum Corps World, for the Orlando Show.

DCI Orlando, July 8th, 2018

Once again Drum Corps was back in Florida.  The contest tonight was in Orlando, in the stadium that has hosted the DCI World Championships several times.

There were three groups that performed in the Soundsport Category.  The first was Sounds of Freedom Band and Color Guard. I loved the section of the show that was based on a New Orleans Jazz Funeral, playing “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” as a slow piece, then the celebration afterwards.  They had a really nice trombone solo.

Florida Express was a very small group of 9 performers, including the drum major (who served as the narrator and also a soloist.)  Technical issues prevented hearing the narration, but it had something to do with the Big, Bad, Wolf. 

Impact Drum Corps was the last corps performing in the Soundsport Category. The show featured the music of The Beatles.  The audience seemed to really get into the show.  Music included “Let it Be” and “Magical Mystery Tour.” Good job by Impact.  

Heat Wave was the only corps in the Open Class.  The show is “The World Keeps Spinning.”  They feature a prop of a big metallic globe of the world, that spun the entire show. Music included, “Fanfare for the Common Man” and “New World Symphony.” The show seemed to be very well thought out and should do well in the corps first time to compete in the Open Class Championships. 

Music City, from Nashville Tennessee was the first corps world class of the evening.  This is their inaugural season in the DCI World Class.  The show is titled Hell on Wheels: The Final Journey of Casey Jones.  Casey was a railroad worker from Tennessee, whose heroics saved the lives of many passengers on the railroad.  His heroism cost his life.  The entire corps falls to the ground signifying the crash but is brought back up to Cohen’s “Hallelujah.”  Music City has successfully been telling stories for the past few years.  Once again, they have a done a great job with sharing a story and theme.  Welcome to World Class, Music City.  Great and entertaining show.

This was the second show of the season for Jersey Surf.  I believe they were the last World Class Corps to debut their show.  The show is “mondo mondria.” The concept of the show is bringing to life the work of artist Piet Mondrian. Mondrian was known for capturing the essence and energy of the universe. His genius was in his ability to simplify the subjects of his paintings into what has been described as “a clear, universal aesthetic language.”  The show is divided into three colors, red, blue and yellow.  They play music that they feel brings the colors to life.  

Spirit of Atlanta is back with the best corps they have had in several seasons.  The theme of the show is based on the title “Knock.”  Somewhat the idea of the when opportunity knocks, doors will open.  I was not familiar with any of the music, but it was still exciting music.  The have 32 large screens that represent doors, that were constantly opening and closing.  They had a great trumpet screamer.  My favorite part of the show was when all the horn line went behind the screens and played backfield.  They had completely disappeared but you could still hear them, nice effect.

After what had to be a very tumultuous off-season, it was great to see the Cadets.  I do have to say that the new uniforms remind me of a raspberry cheesecake with chocolate drizzle.  You have to see the uniforms to understand.  The back of the uniform is solid black, and that gives a wonderful contrast when they turn around.  The shakos plume is taller than most giving the corps a very tall and strong look.  The show is “The Unity Project”, based on the concept that unity is part of what the Cadets are all about. “We are reminded that the singular whole is always greater than the sum of its parts,” said Dr. Drew Shanefield, artistic director of the Cadets.  

“S.O.S.” is the title of the Boston Crusaders 2018 program.  The concept is about being stranded on a deserted island. Then show is portrayed in three parts: Distress, Survival and Salvation.  Boston uses, what looks to be like the same flame, from last year’s very successful show.  This year a prop is a large compass that moves across the field.  The guard is very strong and they portray the story.  “Amazing Grace” was very emotional and powerful.

The Bluecoats show is called “Session 44.”  It has the feel of a jazz club and man can this corps bring that type of show to life. Huge chairs are the big props for this year.  They have some amazing soloist, both vocally and instrumentally.  “God Bless the Child” is sure to be a song that I will continue to listen to. (I still listen to Madison’s version from the early 70”s) Once again the Bluecoats present a very energetic show.

Crown’s show is the “Beast.” I guess it would be easy to say that it really is a beast of a show.  The brass, and percussion show of their tremendous talent throughout the show. My favorite part was “If I Fell” by Paul McCartney, which featured a small brass ensemble of all females. I asked Matt Harloff, Crown’s brass guru, about the idea of the female brass ensemble and he said they had planned to do that before the show concept was even decided. They recognized they had some tremendous female brass players and wanted to feature them. The teeter totter effect of a prop, known as the Beast, gives the idea of a sacrifice to a Beast.

Once again Crown did the encore with an acapella group, but this time the group was Voctave. My personal favorite was “The Impossible Dream.” This still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.  Hats off to Crown for taking the time to learn and memorize new music, just for this encore performance.  This corps truly gets part of what the activity is all about.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, mwetzel1 said:

Here is my article for Drum Corps World, for the Orlando Show.

Boston uses, what looks to be like the same flame, from last year’s very successful show 

The flame has a different shape and color.  The base may also be different since last years flame prop was sold shortly after season ended.  "This is a recording".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The flame fits into this years show so well that you forget about last year.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Until the new ending, when the witches are reincarnated as cannibals.   

Lets reincarnate Gillian, The USS Minnow, Ginger & Mary Ann waiting patiently.

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Lets reincarnate Gillian, The USS Minnow, Ginger & Mary Ann waiting patiently.

Ginger & Mary yes, but don't recall who Gillian was.

Edited by Ghost

Bob Denver have a friend who looks just like him said he can expect a call from BC, he's a big drum corps fan as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Bob Denver have a friend who looks just like him said he can expect a call from BC, he's a big drum corps fan as well.

Now why would the Bluecoats expect a call from Bob D?

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

My Bad -  BC was for Boston not Bluecoats