Orlando, FL - July 8, 2018

The storms were largely seabreeze induced. They are really not moving, just sort of sitting in place and raining themselves out.  Sometimes that process takes 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes a couple hours. The real issue comes with the positive polarity lightning strikes that can come out of the anvil some distance away from the active storm updrafts. So, ongoing delays are more likely to be caused by an occasional lightning strike than the rain.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

sadly I believe tonight will be iffy at best - my resources show a line of lightning and storms forming from Gainsville south through Orlando, heading SSW.  any lightning within the Metro Orlando area will stop the show.

I'm afraid you are right..it is getting worse...

Just now, flammaster said:

Well I do believe the read here because they have put up video. :-D

They have a lot of these packages prepared.  They should just run one after the other when there's a rain delay.  Just like in baseball...the stuff they broadcast during rain delays might be terrible but at least it's not a loop.

5 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

There must be a 30-minute wait after lightning is in the area.  I am very familiar with this from working soccer games at my school.  

its the 30-30 rule:  30 seconds between the flash and the thunder, the storm is close enough for you to be in danger; 30 minute wait after the last thunder until it is safe to go outdoors.

Florida is definitely serious about lightning

Yay -- Crown behind the scenes clip. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

On the bright side, St. Louis next Sunday will not be rained out.  

remember the Georgia Dome storm?  Ask Crown.

and there is still the danger of tornadoes even in St. Louis.