Top 12 All Time Shows

Top 12 All Time for me:

1) Madison 88- Best closer of all time, period, end of story- Never seen a crowd jump to its feet like that- ever..... the last blind spin into the wedge and unravel- I literally get chills every time I see it!

2) SCV 88- the better version of Phantom;) Still the best magic on a drum corps field!!

3) Star 91- Made the G bugles sound beautiful and that’s hard to do.... Holy mellos- TOGA TOGA TOGA

4)  Cavies- 2010- Mad World- Crazy and insane and awesome.... remember seeing and hearing early season clips where it seemed the brass was going to cost the corps as it was not good.... then poof- amazing in the end- Incredible show and Design!

5) Cavies- 06- Machine- Musically not memorable to say the least,  usually the best drum corps show of all time- a masterpiece of thematic character

6) Phantom 91- Opera Show- Just incredible music with the classic Phantom flare and sound.... wish I could’ve seen it live!

7) Bluecoats- 2014- Tilt- Absolutely incredible use of changes to electronics- morphed the drum corps world into what is possible in the new electronic age + Hymn for Axiom- WOW!

8) Blue Devils- 2017 Metamorph- I’ve always appreciate how a corps built on Jazz has managed to keep its niche while modernizing. At times BD has gotten weird in the 2000s but Metamorph reminded me why I fell in love with BD way back when... incredible show with great nostalgia built in!

9) Crown- 2007 Triple Crown- The horse race in itself was genius, but the foretelling of what was to come in the future at the photo finish was as gutsy as Ruth calling his shot.... and they backed it up... incredible music, maybe best characterization using a uniform and Colorguard before everything became a costume!

10) Phantom- 2008- Spartacus- Honestly as show that should never be forgotten, truly the best theme of all time that was carried from before the show started to the announcement of scores- brilliant. All of us are Phantom fans at heart and to see them out together that display of passion, artistry and amazing performance quality- was so very cool. 

11) Blue Knights- 2014- That One Second- This show still to this day goes beyond the scope of a drum corps show. I lost my father the same year and watching this show gave me great remeberance of him and the lessons he taught me about maximizing the things in your life. This was also a major rebirth of BK at a time when the direction for them was far from certain- a truly emotional and amazing show!!

12) Troopers 2009-  To watch a corps struggle for so many years and still be so proud of the amazing heritage  of this corps would be enough. Every year Trooper pride is on display in so many ways that other could learn and grow from.... But to watch them back at Finals for the first time in so many years had me crying big boy tears!!! I am not a Trooper, but I am a huge Trooper Fan!!!

Wesley P

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 3

My list starts in ‘09 because that’s the first year I watched it all live.

12. Bluecoats ‘15 (Kinetic Noise)

11. Blue Stars '14 (Where the Heart Is)

10. Blue Devils ‘17 (Metamorph)

9. Bluecoats ‘14 (Tilt)

8. Bluecoats ‘13 (To Look for America)

7. Crown ‘09 (The Grass is Always Greener)

6. Bluecoats ‘16 (Downside Up)

5. Phantom ‘10 (Into the Light)

4. Blue Knights ‘14 (That One Second)

3. Blue Devils ‘14 (Felliniesque)

2. Blue Devils ‘15 (Ink)

1. Phantom ‘11 (Juliet)

Edited by MidWAmericanArts

2 hours ago, wesleyrp said:

Top 12 All Time for me:

1) Madison 88- Best closer of all time, period, end of story- Never seen a crowd jump to its feet like that- ever..... the last blind spin into the wedge and unravel- I literally get chills every time I see it!

2) SCV 88- the better version of Phantom;) Still the best magic on a drum corps field!!

3) Star 91- Made the G bugles sound beautiful and that’s hard to do.... Holy mellos- TOGA TOGA TOGA

4)  Cavies- 09- Mad World- Crazy and insane and awesome.... remember seeing and hearing early season clips where it seemed the brass was going to cost the corps as it was not good.... then poof- amazing in the end- Incredible show and Design!

5) Cavies- 06- Machine- Musically not memorable to say the least,  usually the best drum corps show of all time- a masterpiece of thematic character

6) Phantom 91- Opera Show- Just incredible music with the classic Phantom flare and sound.... wish I could’ve seen it live!

7) Bluecoats- 2014- Tilt- Absolutely incredible use of changes to electronics- morphed the drum corps world into what is possible in the new electronic age + Hymn for Axiom- WOW!

8) Blue Devils- 2017 Metamorph- I’ve always appreciate how a corps built on Jazz has managed to keep its niche while modernizing. At times BD has gotten weird in the 2000s but Metamorph reminded me why I fell in love with BD way back when... incredible show with great nostalgia built in!

9) Crown- 2007 Triple Crown- The horse race in itself was genius, but the foretelling of what was to come in the future at the photo finish was as gutsy as Ruth calling his shot.... and they backed it up... incredible music, maybe best characterization using a uniform and Colorguard before everything became a costume!

10) Phantom- 2008- Spartacus- Honestly as show that should never be forgotten, truly the best theme of all time that was carried from before the show started to the announcement of scores- brilliant. All of us are Phantom fans at heart and to see them out together that display of passion, artistry and amazing performance quality- was so very cool. 

11) Blue Knights- 2014- That One Second- This show still to this day goes beyond the scope of a drum corps show. I lost my father the same year and watching this show gave me great remeberance of him and the lessons he taught me about maximizing the things in your life. This was also a major rebirth of BK at a time when the direction for them was far from certain- a truly emotional and amazing show!!

12) Troopers 2009-  To watch a corps struggle for so many years and still be so proud of the amazing heritage  of this corps would be enough. Every year Trooper pride is on display in so many ways that other could learn and grow from.... But to watch them back at Finals for the first time in so many years had me crying big boy tears!!! I am not a Trooper, but I am a huge Trooper Fan!!!

Wesley P

Lol... you mean 2010 Cavies Mad World. 09 was The Great Divide :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Lol... you mean 2010 Cavies Mad World. 09 was The Great Divide :)

Ahh yes- dang it... I’ll edit:)

• Like 1

Too difficult. By decade is easier, or even by adding some criteria like favorite vs best executed. Most demanding vs Best GE. 

Edited by jwillis35

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Too difficult. By decade is easier, or even by adding some criteria like favorite vs best executed. Most demanding vs Best GE. 

Which is why I just went to those that stir emotion for me.... I think you’re right, never can compare decades to decades for best show designs/execution/music books etc....

16 hours ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

What I like and what you like are in different dimensions of reality. 

I felt the same way and seeing all the shows that are all time favorites here that had me sitting on my hands I blame it on myself for not being the artsy type. However the last several years maybe 2013 on the excitement is back at least for me and maybe you to since we are both still here.

1. Cadets 93

2. Cadets 87

3. Cadets 84

4. Blue Devils 86

5. Spirit 80

6. Madison 75

7. Star 91

8. Cavaliers 00

9. Crown 09

10. Bluecoats 14

11. Blue Devils 09

12. Vanguard 73

I tried to include shows that were my favorites as well as those I felt were transformative for the activity. For instance, Crown 09 is the year they figured out the formula to win. Vanguard 73 was revolutionary. I included Spirit 80 for its historical significance.

• Like 1

1. Phantom Regiment 2008 (Spartacus) - 1st Place 98.125

2. Cadets 2011 (Between Angles and Demons) - 1st Place 98.350

3. Carolina Crown 2013 (E=mc^2) - 1st Place 98.300

4. Madison Scouts 1988 (Malaguena) - 1st Place 97.100

5. Cadets 2000 (We Are The Future) - Tie 1st Place 97.650

6. Santa Clara Vanguard 1989 (Phantom of the Opera) - 1st Place 98.800

7. Cavaliers 2002 (Frameworks) - 1st Place 99.150

8. Bluecoats 2014 (T/LT) - 2nd Place 97.175

9. Blue Devils 1994 (My Spanish Heart) - 1st Place 98.400

10. Star of Indiana 1993 (The Music of Barber and Bartok) - 2nd Place 97.300

11. Carolina Crown 2016 (Relentless) - 3rd Place 97.088

12. Cavaliers 2000 (Niagara Falls) - Tie 1st Place 97.650

Too busy to put together a full list right now, but off the top, if you don't include Star 93 and Babylon, you're wrong. Sorry

• Haha 1