Pre-recorded brass?

Mic-ing the entire brass section is drawing a good deal of negative attention. I don't detect this watching on Flo. However, sitting in the grandstand I'm sure this practice would annoy me. But, what about pre-recorded brass solos?  How common is that practice? I really don't know, but sometimes think I catch a pre-recorded soloist while watching close-ups on Flo. Could be just minor electronic delay, or is that all it is? Also seem to recall a poster last year claiming this goes on all the time. What is the real truth?

I suppose, in the event the regular brass soloist is not able to perform, having someone else "pretend to play" is a good thing.

Thoughts, anyone?

Edited by Fred Windish

I think pre recorded of any musical portion of a corps performance, even singing, should lower that captions score.   I know why it's done, but seeing a person raise a bugle with a recording of taps built into the bugle, and the person puffs up their cheeks like they're playing is ridiculous.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

The only time I've ever noticed pre-recorded brass was during Bluecoats 2016 show, and it was more of an effect thing than a musical thing, but I do think that it should've been done live. It doesn't bother me though because they had sound effects in the background making it obvious that it was electronic and not live. If a group tries to hide the fact that anything was recorded, then it would probably be an issue.

Edited by kinetic inferno11

10 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

The only time I've ever noticed pre-recorded brass was during Bluecoats 2016 show, and it was more of an effect thing than a musical thing, but I do think that it should've been done live. It doesn't bother me though because they had sound effects in the background making it obvious that it was electronic and not live. If a group tries to hide the fact that anything was recorded, then it would probably be an issue.

And the Bluecoats made it especially obvious by lifting their horns above their heads while the effect was going on.  Still one of the highlights of that show, of which there were many.

• Like 1

I do not think we are getting any pre recorded brass solos...

yet.

I was disappointed to realize the Cavaliers' singing in the closer this year is a pre recorded track that is layered in -- in past years they have sung quite nicely, up front by the pit - but the way the drill lays out this year it would be hard to hear them from midfield/backfield -- 

Edited by tedrick
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

in past years they have sung quite nicely, up front by the pit - but the way the drill lays out this year it would be hard to hear them from midfield/backfield -- 

Then mic everyone who is going to sing.  What the hell.  Look at all the money that can be saved on instrument and singing lessons if it's all recorded.

16 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I do not think we are getting any pre recorded brass solos...

yet.

I was disappointed to realize the Cavaliers' singing in the closer this year is a pre recorded track that is layered in -- in past years they have sung quite nicely, up front by the pit - but the way the drill lays out this year it would be hard to hear them from midfield/backfield -- 

Cavies used prerecorded vocals last year too, but it worked well.  But that is off topic for this thread. 

Edited by Den8uml

Seems a bit sky-is-falling to start wringing our hands over pre-recorded brass solos that aren’t for a specific effect (like the aforementioned Bluecoats). This activity specifically judges brass and percussion performance, so despite what some people think, it is not a natural extension of pre-recorded vocals. I’ll happily admit if I’m proven wrong, but I’m pretty confident in this one. 

Edited by brassboy

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

And the Bluecoats made it especially obvious by lifting their horns above their heads while the effect was going on.  Still one of the highlights of that show, of which there were many.

Was this strictly "pre-recorded" or was a snippet of live playing recorded and then replayed/looped?

I have issues with the former, but not the latter. 

13 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Was this strictly "pre-recorded" or was a snippet of live playing recorded and then replayed/looped?

I have issues with the former, but not the latter. 

I "believe" it was pre-recorded... not recorded right before that part and then replayed back without them playing it (I would think that would be very risky if it didn't work especially that quick to record/playback)

anyone else know for sure

I had a problem with that section as well - also mic'ing things that don't need to be mic'ed.  solos and front ensemble ok... to me even solos are questionable... I mean these aren't flutes and clarinets here