Pre-recorded brass?

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

The distinction is this (I'll use a guitar example which is used quite often in live performances):  In a live concert, I play a repeating riff and pressing a button on my pedalboard, it's recorded -- I set the start and end of the recording with the pedalboard all while playing live. I can then press the playback button which is set to infinite loop and what I just played is now replayed back over and over. I can now solo over my own playing -- all live and in real-time. Another click, and it stops  

Yes -- this could be done with an ensemble, but I think it was mentioned it can be risky and it takes someone running the soundboard to do it (rules?).  Then throw in all the different environmental variables at each venue which makes doing this in real-time for each performance rather daunting  

Risky: What happens if you record a frack in real-time? Be thankful they are not using the tic system? LOL

That pretty accurately describes what Bluecoats did in 2015 with Kinetic Noise. There was a good video out there somewhere describing the whole process, but it was all performed on the field in real time and then looped in with the live performance. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been with ~100 musicians spread out across a football field, but they pulled it off.

I'm sure they also had their fair share of "looped fracks" throughout the summer. :-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, monoemono said:

That pretty accurately describes what Bluecoats did in 2015 with Kinetic Noise. There was a good video out there somewhere describing the whole process, but it was all performed on the field in real time and then looped in with the live performance. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been with ~100 musicians spread out across a football field, but they pulled it off.

I'm sure they also had their fair share of "looped fracks" throughout the summer. :-)

That’s actually not accurate. “Live looping” is strictly forbidden in the rules. The “loops” were actually played on a sampler note by note.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

That’s actually not accurate. “Live looping” is strictly forbidden in the rules. The “loops” were actually played on a sampler note by note.

Yeah, having watched this again, the brass were sampled ahead of time. Still a really cool effect, though I initially thought it was sampled on the fly.

7 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

This brings up a question I was going to ask, after attending the Minneapolis show.

Is the Madison Scouts female horn soloist pretending to play to a recording?  I would swear she took her mouth away from the horn and sound was still coming out.  My brother in law saw the same thing.  It happened twice.

One issue I have with pre-recorded stuff--including singing--is that how do we know the person who recorded it is of legal age to be in drum corps?  We police whether the marching members are the proper age, but what is to prevent a corps from recording a 40-year old singer or horn player and using it in their show?

I doubt she is faking her solo, although they are running her through so much processing it's hard to tell.  I saw Scouts live and they had her buried in so much reverb, delay, chorusing, compression, etc that she sounded totally synthetic.  I'd like to hear her without all the audio smoke and mirrors... everyone is commenting on how great she plays but it is so processed, who can really tell?  

Last winter when rule proposals came out, I mentioned something as relevant now as ever.

In a judged activity, imho it is imperative to have as level a playing field as possible. I am not talking about corps A has twice the budget of corps B.

Rather, for the integrity of a judged activity to be valid, the judges need to judge the actual performance. Anythng that can mimic acoustic brass or distort the sound in such a way as to legitimately fool the folks in the box should not be legal. For me, it's not a matter of how creative they can be with amplification or synths, it's more a matter of actually evaluating the true level of brass achievement.

Rule of thumb: just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

This brings up a question I was going to ask, after attending the Minneapolis show.

Is the Madison Scouts female horn soloist pretending to play to a recording?  I would swear she took her mouth away from the horn and sound was still coming out.  My brother in law saw the same thing.  It happened twice.

One issue I have with pre-recorded stuff--including singing--is that how do we know the person who recorded it is of legal age to be in drum corps?  We police whether the marching members are the proper age, but what is to prevent a corps from recording a 40-year old singer or horn player and using it in their show?

Like Beyonce singing about her Diamonds?

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Nothing should ever be prerecorded. Not instruments, not singing, not even speaking. I mean, if you're going to do that, why not just set up a big projection screen, film your show in advance over months, and then edit the finished product into a twelve-minute movie the audience and judges can watch?

Like the "live" drone show at the Olympics that wasn't live?

Is it against DCI rules to use recorded brass or drum tracks?