Pre-recorded brass?

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

The only time I've ever noticed pre-recorded brass was during Bluecoats 2016 show, and it was more of an effect thing than a musical thing, but I do think that it should've been done live. It doesn't bother me though because they had sound effects in the background making it obvious that it was electronic and not live. If a group tries to hide the fact that anything was recorded, then it would probably be an issue.

That was Tilt....the 2014 show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 84BDsop said:

I think he is referring to the section at the end of the opener in 2016 when they play a few quarter notes... then lift their horns up and spin around while the same part is being electronically played back

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

I think he is referring to the section at the end of the opener in 2016 when they play a few quarter notes... then lift their horns up and spin around while the same part is being electronically played back

You're right...I listen to that show far more than I watch it and probably forgot.

That being said, they were running the horn passage backwards as the horn wave went back toward side 1...an effect they could not do live.

I think we need to split out recorded things that are basically impossible to do from those that are easily performed live, but recorded for mere convenience.

20 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

End of the 2nd movement, they started with high brass and worked their way down, then "reversed" back up before an impact chord

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I think pre recorded of any musical portion of a corps performance, even singing, should lower that captions score.   I know why it's done, but seeing a person raise a bugle with a recording of taps built into the bugle, and the person puffs up their cheeks like they're playing is ridiculous.

This topic of prerecorded “Taps” came up a few years ago, and as someone who probably encounters this professionally a bit more than most folks do, I’ve celebrated funerals and the prerecorded “Taps” was used, people have complimented the bugler. Musicians past and present are more likely to notice, and of course what matters most to families is the presence of the military, which is always an honor and to be appreciated.,

Though this is off topic, for those who have the time and are interested in providing live music for military honors at cemeteries and for military services, contact Buglers Across America. You may also want to contact your local veteran’s agent since very often they contact the military on behalf of the funeral homes. You may also want to provide a recording so they know you can play. A big reason many veterans agents and funeral homes do not want live buglers is because their heart is in the right place, they want to honor veterans and love the country, but......and sometimes the recorded “Taps” or no music at all is better than the “but.....” 

• Like 2

This brings up a question I was going to ask, after attending the Minneapolis show.

Is the Madison Scouts female horn soloist pretending to play to a recording?  I would swear she took her mouth away from the horn and sound was still coming out.  My brother in law saw the same thing.  It happened twice.

One issue I have with pre-recorded stuff--including singing--is that how do we know the person who recorded it is of legal age to be in drum corps?  We police whether the marching members are the proper age, but what is to prevent a corps from recording a 40-year old singer or horn player and using it in their show?

• Sad 1

Just now, Tim K said:

This topic of prerecorded “Taps” came up a few years ago, and as someone who probably encounters this professionally a bit more than most folks do, I’ve celebrated funerals and the prerecorded “Taps” was used, people have complimented the bugler. Musicians past and present are more likely to notice, and of course what matters most to families is the presence of the military, which is always an honor and to be appreciated.,

Though this is off topic, for those who have the time and are interested in providing live music for military honors at cemeteries and for military services, contact Buglers Across America. You may also want to contact your local veteran’s agent since very often they contact the military on behalf of the funeral homes. You may also want to provide a recording so they know you can play. A big reason many veterans agents and funeral homes do not want live buglers is because their heart is in the right place, they want to honor veterans and love the country, but......and sometimes the recorded “Taps” or no music at all is better than the “but.....” 

I know this to be true,  my son at times "volunteered" for this duty and received multiple complements which he received gladly.  He did say that if that's how the brass instruments worked, he would have not been a saxophonist.

52 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Was this strictly "pre-recorded" or was a snippet of live playing recorded and then replayed/looped?

I have issues with the former, but not the latter. 

They recorded this several times during the season, then played it back.  Although, I'm not quite sure I understand the distinction you are making.  It was recorded live, then played back at the appropriate spot in the program.

18 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

This brings up a question I was going to ask, after attending the Minneapolis show.

Is the Madison Scouts female horn soloist pretending to play to a recording?  I would swear she took her mouth away from the horn and sound was still coming out.  My brother in law saw the same thing.  It happened twice.

One issue I have with pre-recorded stuff--including singing--is that how do we know the person who recorded it is of legal age to be in drum corps?  We police whether the marching members are the proper age, but what is to prevent a corps from recording a 40-year old singer or horn player and using it in their show?

Amazing, barigirl78!

The Madison soloist this season is one of my suspected pre-recorded uses. Look, she is obviously a magnificent player, and I believe she really helps to make that show appealing. On the other hand, because she usually plays from the back half of the field, the only people who might suspect a recording would be those watching through a tight camera shot.

I'm just not sure how I feel about the potential of all this. I know it's really just "show business" and things aren't always as they appear. I also appreciate her (musical) parts!  It's a wonderful addition to Scouts 2018 production. By no means do I want to come off as insulting to this, or any other player. I've had the same impression from other corps, too. I'm just curious about how fans feel about the possibility.

Edited by Fred Windish

2 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Amazing, barigirl78!

The Madison soloist this season is one of my suspected pre-recorded uses. Look, she is obviously a magnificent player, and I believe she really helps to make that show appealing. On the other hand, because she usually plays from the back half of the field, the only people who might suspect a recording would be those watching through a tight camera shot.

I'm just not sure how I feel about the potential of all this. I know it's really just "show business" and things aren't always as they appear. I also appreciate her (musical) parts!  It's a wonderful addition to Scouts 2016 production. By no means do I want to come off as insulting to this, or any other player. I've had the same impression from other corps, too. I'm just curious about how fans feel about the possibility.

Several years back I publicly voiced the suspicion that one champion corps used a pre-recorded low brass soli while the kid stood midfield atop a rolling scaffolding leaving him facing backfield for most of the solo. The playing was too consistent and never manifested any breathing at all. There were grumblings from the peanut gallery, accusations from lower placing corps, and defensive rebuttals from the corps' fandom.

Now this season I am awed when my favorite corps begins with a low brass soli that is miked after she does gymnastic cartwheels with a balletic flair across the field, always arrives and starts the solo on cue, never misses her tone, and never allows the audience to hear her breath through the horn. Conclusion is that the art of miking has improved and when matched with magnificent performers it is awesome.