Pre-recorded brass?

12 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Amazing, barigirl78!

The Madison soloist this season is one of my suspected pre-recorded uses. Look, she is obviously a magnificent player, and I believe she really helps to make that show appealing. On the other hand, because she usually plays from the back half of the field, the only people who might suspect a recording would be those watching through a tight camera shot.

I'm just not sure how I feel about the potential of all this. I know it's really just "show business" and things aren't always as they appear. I also appreciate her (musical) parts!  It's a wonderful addition to Scouts 2018 production. By no means do I want to come off as insulting to this, or any other player. I've had the same impression from other corps, too. I'm just curious about how fans feel about the possibility.

If she is pre-recorded, they choose a poor recording because she was flat for part of her solo/duet performance during the Minneapolis show 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

They recorded this several times during the season, then played it back.  Although, I'm not quite sure I understand the distinction you are making.  It was recorded live, then played back at the appropriate spot in the program.

The distinction is this (I'll use a guitar example which is used quite often in live performances):  In a live concert, I play a repeating riff and pressing a button on my pedalboard, it's recorded -- I set the start and end of the recording with the pedalboard all while playing live. I can then press the playback button which is set to infinite loop and what I just played is now replayed back over and over. I can now solo over my own playing -- all live and in real-time. Another click, and it stops  

Yes -- this could be done with an ensemble, but I think it was mentioned it can be risky and it takes someone running the soundboard to do it (rules?).  Then throw in all the different environmental variables at each venue which makes doing this in real-time for each performance rather daunting  

Risky: What happens if you record a frack in real-time? Be thankful they are not using the tic system? LOL

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Amazing, barigirl78!

The Madison soloist this season is one of my suspected pre-recorded uses. Look, she is obviously a magnificent player, and I believe she really helps to make that show appealing. On the other hand, because she usually plays from the back half of the field, the only people who might suspect a recording would be those watching through a tight camera shot.

I'm just not sure how I feel about the potential of all this. I know it's really just "show business" and things aren't always as they appear. I also appreciate her (musical) parts!  It's a wonderful addition to Scouts 2018 production. By no means do I want to come off as insulting to this, or any other player. I've had the same impression from other corps, too. I'm just curious about how fans feel about the possibility.

Considering all the problems from a competitive standpoint with Madison this season...a pre-recorded soloist is the least of their worries right now IMO...

The only way to be a bit more definitive in non pre-recorded use is to ditch the mics on the end of the bells...

One of the most masterful soloist in terms of timing IMO was the soloist from phantom regiments show into the light...that was HARD...and he nailed it EVERYTIME

• Like 1

Nothing should ever be prerecorded. Not instruments, not singing, not even speaking. I mean, if you're going to do that, why not just set up a big projection screen, film your show in advance over months, and then edit the finished product into a twelve-minute movie the audience and judges can watch?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Liahona said:

One of the most masterful soloist in terms of timing IMO was the soloist from phantom regiments show into the light...that was HARD...and he nailed it EVERYTIME

To be fair, he never quite had enough air on his very last note. But better to have someone try and fail than to just do it in a studio.

Has any brass or percussion playing actually been prerecorded though? I thought there was a rule forbidding that.

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Has any brass or percussion playing actually been prerecorded though? I thought there was a rule forbidding that.

I'm pretty sure percussion samples are used -- chimes, for example. These have to be manually triggered by a MM.  But, I'm not aware of long passages of prerecorded percussion. 

I have to bring up again the age issue.

How does DCI police the use of pre-recorded material that was recorded by someone outside the age range of DCI?

When a corps is using a pre-recorded vocal or horn part, how do we know the person recording it was of legal age to participate?

3 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I have to bring up again the age issue.

How does DCI police the use of pre-recorded material that was recorded by someone outside the age range of DCI?

When a corps is using a pre-recorded vocal or horn part, how do we know the person recording it was of legal age to participate?

Now that's an interesting thought. As for prerecorded solos there is definitely  corps that have had prerecorded solos...Heard from the directors mouth...Taking the guaranteed GE/music bump rather than risk the performance/achievement bump...and from the judges mouth..."we're not here to police performance but judge performance" 

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Though this is off topic, for those who have the time and are interested in providing live music for military honors at cemeteries and for military services, contact Buglers Across America. You may also want to contact your local veteran’s agent since very often they contact the military on behalf of the funeral homes. You may also want to provide a recording so they know you can play. A big reason many veterans agents and funeral homes do not want live buglers is because their heart is in the right place, they want to honor veterans and love the country, but......and sometimes the recorded “Taps” or no music at all is better than the “but.....” 

Was a BAA member in MA for many years.  Back in the late 90's the Army had quite a few three person teams who were on the road for weeks going from funeral to funeral.  Most of the time they had a recording of taps.  When they stopped using these teams, the military came up with a bugle with a recording device inside the bell and all the person had to do was push a button.  I heard stories of how the battery died during the "playing" of taps.

Tom Day was a member of the Cavies and is a Marine.  He created BAA.  Here is the site.

http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/

Edited by Ghost