Pre-recorded brass?

Any of the mic'd performers when done correctly sound good. However most are not done correctly. BD has an amazing sound system that is even better this year. "They do it better than anyone else" "More precise, More accurate, and deadly performers in a championship" <--------name the quote

2 hours ago, flammaster said:

Any of the mic'd performers when done correctly sound good. However most are not done correctly. BD has an amazing sound system that is even better this year. "They do it better than anyone else" "More precise, More accurate, and deadly performers in a championship" <--------name the quote

I don't agree.  BD just like pretty much everybody else has their pit volume cranked up way too loud and synth bass  way too loud.

Quote is from Don Angelika on the pbs broadcast in 1986 just before BD performed on finals night :) .  Check please :)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Nothing should ever be prerecorded. Not instruments, not singing, not even speaking. I mean, if you're going to do that, why not just set up a big projection screen, film your show in advance over months, and then edit the finished product into a twelve-minute movie the audience and judges can watch?

LOL... I have this image in my mind of a corps standing in one formation on the field for 10-12 minutes while listening to and applauding their own pre-recorded show, and then trying to sell their standstill visual/pre-recorded audio show to the judges as being "the next state-of-the-art thing."  :tongue:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flammaster said:

Agreed that when done correctly it can sound good, but I feel it creates an environment where we are no longer comparing apples to apples.  Competition no longer seems very relevant if corps aren't performing with the same gear.  Modern audio technology allows for seamless enhancement/"smoke & mirrors" of live audio.  We've all come to accept that in pop music most of what we hear- even live- is heavily propped up and enhanced by machines.  I hate to see DCI go down that road.

Corps like BD with the budgets to invest in highly sophisticated electronic systems have the capacity to electronically enhance/manipulate/buff including running sophisticated samples.  Nothing to stop them from layering additional studio brass into the live package, far as I know.

54 minutes ago, Guitar1974 said:

Agreed that when done correctly it can sound good, but I feel it creates an environment where we are no longer comparing apples to apples.  Competition no longer seems very relevant if corps aren't performing with the same gear.  Modern audio technology allows for seamless enhancement/"smoke & mirrors" of live audio.  We've all come to accept that in pop music most of what we hear- even live- is heavily propped up and enhanced by machines.  I hate to see DCI go down that road.

Corps like BD with the budgets to invest in highly sophisticated electronic systems have the capacity to electronically enhance/manipulate/buff including running sophisticated samples.  Nothing to stop them from layering additional studio brass into the live package, far as I know.

No question there is more to consider as DCI moves into the future with the addition of electronics. Over the past 5 years, or so, I've suspected a few brass soloists were actually presenting using pre-recorded music. Hopefully, recordings of their OWN earlier playing. Yes, just like rock concerts, Super Bowl Halftime spectaculars, etc. That's show biz!

What would prevent a corps from positioning a young trumpet player on a pedestal and then broadcast pre-recorded Arturo Sandoval to the audience?

I take issue with all the whataboutism in this thread. Really moves the validity of any arguments being made in here 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

No question there is more to consider as DCI moves into the future with the addition of electronics. Over the past 5 years, or so, I've suspected a few brass soloists were actually presenting using pre-recorded music. Hopefully, recordings of their OWN earlier playing. Yes, just like rock concerts, Super Bowl Halftime spectaculars, etc. That's show biz!

What would prevent a corps from positioning a young trumpet player on a pedestal and then broadcast pre-recorded Arturo Sandoval to the audience?

Nothing would prevent a corps from doing that.

19 hours ago, brassboy said:

Seems a bit sky-is-falling to start wringing our hands over pre-recorded brass solos that aren’t for a specific effect (like the aforementioned Bluecoats). This activity specifically judges brass and percussion performance, so despite what some people think, it is not a natural extension of pre-recorded vocals. I’ll happily admit if I’m proven wrong, but I’m pretty confident in this one. 

I don't want to prove you wrong.  I want you to be right.  There must be limits on the reach of electronics.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Nothing, I guess.

But... and no offense to the trumpet players in DCI.... Arturo would blow all of them away, so one might easily conclude it's not a corps brass player behind that sound. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1