Weapon Imagery in Drum Corps

A non drum corps friend expressed concern and dislike for the use of rifles by color guards, particularly in light of the frequent unfortunate events of the past few years.  To me, and likely to other long-timers, a drum corps rifle seems as harmless looking as a flag/silk.  There is no emotional reaction.  

What do others think?  Does the type of equipment used, such as rifles and sabers, somehow send or perpetuate an undesirable message?  I promised to post this and gather your reactions.  

Note: talk of politics and religion are not allowed on DCP, so let's try not to descend into that for the sake of the conversation.  Thanks 

31 minutes ago, Ediker said:

A non drum corps friend expressed concern and dislike for the use of rifles by color guards, particularly in light of the frequent unfortunate events of the past few years.  To me, and likely to other long-timers, a drum corps rifle seems as harmless looking as a flag/silk.  There is no emotional reaction.  

What do others think?  Does the type of equipment used, such as rifles and sabers, somehow send or perpetuate an undesirable message?  I promised to post this and gather your reactions.  

Note: talk of politics and religion are not allowed on DCP, so let's try not to descend into that for the sake of the conversation.  Thanks 

I personally do not see an issue although I have heard this time to time by a very few. I have found as shows have developed to what they are today is it silly to be dancing with weapons..lol

AS  far as politics ( I never understood how sometimes politics can be taken out of the equation .) I do get we do not want political battles, especially now with a very polarized country but we ( the activity ) are not immune to decisions made in politics, tariffs, the cost of gas and food  sensitivity etc etc. we are not in a bubble and if we think we are immune we are just kidding ourselves....just a thought:smile:

PS : over the years we have made political statements with some shows...ok done...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

1. The rifles and sabres with the flags are traditional, having to do with the military origins of the 'color guard.' So that current participants may understand history, each corps history night could include a historical reenactor, National Park Service worker or some such personage to teach the entire guard about the duties of the Civil War guard, and the frequent high casualties resulting from service in such a unit.

2. These are also historical links to drum corps guards of the past, who also used sabres and rifles.

3. The standardization of weapons units in the guard allows for shared fluency and an ability to evaluate a similar skill.

4. Although I have no evidence, I do not think that using non-functional representations of weapons which can be spun and tossed glorifies or induces violent behavior or attitudes. 

5. I support retaining the traditional weapons units for the reasons above; however, any work done with traditional weapons can be replaced with show-specific equipment. This is a likely scenario, as corps continue to move away from military uniforms and linkages for the sake of a total artistic effect, which has been occurring for decades.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My Grandma.. Bless her soul.. used to have a saying:.... " oh, the sights we see when we don't have a gun"   ( lol!)

Image result for cowgirls/ cowboys costumes.. with guns

• Haha 1

Sorry, but this does not send any violent message. Those equipment has been used for decades in the realm of pageantry. They are not glorifying any weapons of mass destruction.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Lance said:

on a list of thing i don't care about, this would be near the top

very petty and stupid

I agree 100%.

• Like 5

This has been discussed before here on DCP.  There's no way of not keeping political feelings out of this type of topic.  Don't forget, a CC mm actually pointed a guard rifle at another mm before the recorded rifle shot was used.  For decades American flag sections in corps had a mm with a side arm in a holster (but it could have been empty) and two mm carrying rifles.  Hopefully corps will not incorporate cars, U-haul type trucks, and knives in their shows.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I believe that stupid predator had similar concerns which is why Cadets switched from rifles to "curves" for a while. Suffice it to say, I'm glad they switched back.

• Like 4