Weapon Imagery in Drum Corps

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Then why the law suit?

he'd be prepared now ( plus the great comment he made on Bluecoats tape in 15 about dodging a sphere)

Just hit me.....no commentary on Troopers' use of epees -- actual fencing weapons -- on the field a coupe of years ago?

I wish they'd come to me for that purchase...I would've recommended stage sabres....more appropriate for how they used them.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2018 at 9:46 PM, luv4corps said:

Whoever this person was obviously doesn't realize how wars are fought and how drum corps has a military origin.  Though I am compassionate when it comes to general issues that offend mass groups of people, I have to agree with the folks who say that rifles and sabers in drum corps are a non-issue. 

They are decorations.

They are not only decorations, they are emblematic of humanity's long-time desire to turn swords into plowshares. Towns got used to seeing the pageantry of war - bugles and drums, rifles and flags - marching through their towns at various times ever since the Civil War. People liked the pageantry, so after WWI as the older equipment was discarded by the military its use was taken up by veterans groups to keep the pageantry going.

Besides, rifles are one of the few remaining links to modern drum corps' origins, and to discard them now out of a naive desire for world peace would be foolish. Nothing looks cooler than a perfectly synchronized rifle toss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a supporter of the Second Amendment for the real thing and, as for rifles and sabers in drum corps, it has military origins people cannot deny.  Let’s eliminate trumpets in drum corps too because in the military they are used to play “Reveille,” “To the Colors,” and “Taps,” well known musical pieces with specific meanings.  

This is absolutely insane.  

• Like 2

On 7/9/2018 at 4:48 PM, Ediker said:

A non drum corps friend expressed concern and dislike

I think it’s just that... they don’t know what this activity was and is about. That’s like if I expressed concern and dislike for the fact they allow hockey players to fight during games. I don’t even watch hockey. It would be ridiculous for me to have a problem with something I don’t understand, especially if it’s not even in the slightest violent like my example is. 

• Like 3

I would never fire a real rifle (although i have fired a handgun!) and i would never own a gun personally, but i spun a wicked rifle in high school with the color guard and still have it in my closet.  I figure if anyone ever broke into my house i would hit them over the head with it!  take the rifles out of drum corps and i would likely never watch it again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

I think it’s just that... they don’t know what this activity was and is about. That’s like if I expressed concern and dislike for the fact they allow hockey players to fight during games. I don’t even watch hockey. It would be ridiculous for me to have a problem with something I don’t understand, especially if it’s not even in the slightest violent like my example is. 

I think it's just someone talking for the sake of talking.

3 hours ago, johnpendell said:

Yeah, just virtue signaling to feel morally righteous I guess. 

Or it's possible this person really was taken by surprise. I respect their initial reaction, even as I disagree with their assessment.

• Like 2

Flag: Demonstrating how a performing member can maneuver a bedsheet on a stick to help visually amplify the music. (Also to rally the troops, defend, retreat, intimidate the enemy, and unify the team)

Sabre: Demonstrating how a performing member can showcase dexterity and subtle power through nuance. (Also to stab, slice, cut, parry...)

Dance: Demonstrating how a performing member can exhibit agility and technical skill through the art of movement. (Also to slap, punch, bite, pull hair, scratch, drop-kick, round-kick, strangle, whatever...)

Rifle: Demonstrating how a performing member can prove skills in strength, accuracy, and composure. (Also to shoot, pistol-whip)

It's all explicit or implicit violence even if there is no actual violence involved in the show.  DCI should be completely removed and replaced with non-stop Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting.

Wait a second.  Wasn't Bob Ross a Master Sergeant in the U.S Air Force?

Edited by DeusExGreenMachina