Weapon Imagery in Drum Corps

41 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Considering the number of lives lost or otherwise impacted by eating too much sugar, perhaps we should be disturbed by the zebra cake imagery in DCI.

Glutton hater!:winky:

6 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Heck -- even a fencing sabre would have looked better. 

Nah....a sabre blade -- while stiffer when tested on a gabrit than an epee (allowed 1cm LESS deflection) -- moves too much in actual usage in stage combat.

A dry epee blade is less flexible AND is bigger, so it both shows better and makes a better "clang" sound.

In my opinion, what we should not do is mock or demonize everyone who has a question or an opposite viewpoint. I see a lot of that in this thread; a lot of people who feel threatened by the very notion of people who don't think right. Too much of that happens today. We ought to do better.

There are enough good arguments we can make that we don't need ad hominem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think the concern is nonsense to many (including myself) only in that it requires strong social political "feelings" in order for it to be an issue.

However... If you think about it, the use of such imagery is also nonsense in that it no longer has a reference apart from the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, Ghost said:

This has been discussed before here on DCP.  There's no way of not keeping political feelings out of this type of topic.  Don't forget, a CC mm actually pointed a guard rifle at another mm before the recorded rifle shot was used.  For decades American flag sections in corps had a mm with a side arm in a holster (but it could have been empty) and two mm carrying rifles.  Hopefully corps will not incorporate cars, U-haul type trucks, and knives in their shows.

Don't tell BRASSO that I borrowed his crystal ball!

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Don't tell BRASSO that I borrowed his crystal ball!

Image result for put it back!.... gifs

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I was avoiding this thread, because I wasn't interested in overreaction to this non-issue by the older crowd. But luckily I popped in to see the post of the century - THANKS! 

"Adult agendas are good (when I agree with them and seek to enforce them)."

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 12:11 AM, BRASSO said:

Ok... we shouldn't discriminate in favor of just the vegetarians among us in contemplating replacing the tossing of rifles with the tossing of a salad. 

Maybe for more diversity we could allow Corps Guards to toss pizzas.

Image result for tossing pizza in the air... gifs

If a corps wants pizza tossers, the Testa Brothers might be available and they are no way near age out, so they could do their tossing year after year. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If a corps wants pizza tossers, the Testa Brothers might be available and they are no way near age out, so they could do their tossing year after year. 

I want more tossed salads!!!  New requirement.. every corps must toss two salads during the ballad.