Weapon Imagery in Drum Corps

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

While difficult to do, I'd recommend that instead of tossing rifles in Drum Corps any more, we toss a salad.

Its far better than rifles, imo, for sustaining a well balanced, healthy lifestyle.

Baby dolls. That would get lots of laughs.

Ok... we shouldn't discriminate in favor of just the vegetarians among us in contemplating replacing the tossing of rifles with the tossing of a salad. 

Maybe for more diversity we could allow Corps Guards to toss pizzas.

Image result for tossing pizza in the air... gifs

What’s offensive is all the movement stuff drum lines do today then they throw their arms down after they play a few licks...  I guess that’s what 60’s and 70’s drumlines thought about 80’s and 90’s drumlines when they started moving side to side and diagonally.  

About your friend, either take him to a gun range and show him the real thing or take him to more shows so he can get used to it.  

Edited by jsualumnus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ediker said:

A non drum corps friend expressed concern and dislike for the use of rifles by color guards, particularly in light of the frequent unfortunate events of the past few years.  To me, and likely to other long-timers, a drum corps rifle seems as harmless looking as a flag/silk.  There is no emotional reaction.  

What do others think?  Does the type of equipment used, such as rifles and sabers, somehow send or perpetuate an undesirable message?  I promised to post this and gather your reactions.  

Note: talk of politics and religion are not allowed on DCP, so let's try not to descend into that for the sake of the conversation.  Thanks 

Good lord, the world has gone completely mad.

2 hours ago, flammaster said:

Baby dolls. That would get lots of laughs.

Double file down the 50, 2-7 style, whilst pre-recorded squeals of baby laughter and joy timed with each toss and exchange are played through the pit amps.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

I’m sorry but drum corps has military origins whether some dumb bando or casual realizes that or not. The rifles are a part of that military tradition. 

Someone who has a problem with that has a different axe to grind or is ignorant of history. 

With that said, I support very heavy gun control in real life, so it is very possible to support colorguard rifles and strict control of the real life thing!

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2