Weapon Imagery in Drum Corps

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

This has been discussed before here on DCP.  There's no way of not keeping political feelings out of this type of topic.  Don't forget, a CC mm actually pointed a guard rifle at another mm before the recorded rifle shot was used.  For decades American flag sections in corps had a mm with a side arm in a holster (but it could have been empty) and two mm carrying rifles.  Hopefully corps will not incorporate cars, U-haul type trucks, and knives in their shows.

And back in the AL / VFW era if a judge got too close to the American flag, the first time was a verbal warning.  The second time was to be a rifle butt to the jaw.

The Color Guard was there to guard the Colors.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ghost said:

This has been discussed before here on DCP.  There's no way of not keeping political feelings out of this type of topic.  Don't forget, a CC mm actually pointed a guard rifle at another mm before the recorded rifle shot was used.  For decades American flag sections in corps had a mm with a side arm in a holster (but it could have been empty) and two mm carrying rifles.  Hopefully corps will not incorporate cars, U-haul type trucks, and knives in their shows.

it was huge on RAMD in I think 2001 based on comments by a now former DCI lightning rod when he made it an issue

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

We need more weapons. Battle axes and cannons please! Talk about GE 

death works

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ghost said:

If VK was still around and if Jeff P. was on percussion, I could see Hoffman have a rubber hatchet thrown over a target towards the drumline.

and Jeff could dodge it

16 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Thank You for all you do/ did. with that said the Kids of Parkland also performed with a very supportive welcome back to WGI. I don't think this will become a bigger issue. But I guess we can't say never.

and i think their show had rifles in it

• Like 1

call me when a corps has sharks with frikken laser beams

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

VK had a shark...lol

no laser beams. Dr. Evil was a few years away from being publicly known

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Good lord, the world has gone completely mad.

I had frequent (responsible) exposure to guns growing up, and have always had a high comfort level with them.  My lack of reaction to rifles in drum corps may be due to that, or because they are ever present in the activity.  Some people have never had any exposure to drum corps, or to firearms... never been in the same room as one, let alone touched one or fired it.  For such a person, there is a different set of associations to seeing a rifle, not madness.  

• Like 2