Sioux City, IA - July 10, 2018

7 hours ago, Ms.L said:

That is so cool! I wish I could remember for sure. Good chance it was '78. I remember someone playing Copeland and I remember a guard with long skirts but I don't know which year those memories are from or if was my first show or subsequent years. The biggest memory is of 'feeling' the glorious sound from all the corps and I fell in love.

That was Santa Clara if that’s  you really remember. They won the big show that year.  We wore really tall hats.  :laughing:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well #### I thought the activity was supposed to be competitive. Forget scores we are only do bronze silver and gold ratings where everyone's a winner :laughing:   were you someone that complained when Lebron didnt shake hands in the finals? 

And are you someone who always complains when your corps doesn't win? I'm pretty sure at this point, your attitude would be considered an embarrassment to the Blue Stars organization. Brad competed against the Mandarins way back when they were both small A-60 corps and I'm pretty sure he's happy to see their success and loves that the rivalry is brewing again. But go ahead and keep doing you. 

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

That was Santa Clara if that’s  you really remember. They won the big show that year.  We wore really tall hats.  :laughing:

Yes! Santa Clara was there and I've read posts where you refer to those really tall hats before! :biggrin:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Let's calm down a little. It was a partial panel decided by one judge. 

Exactly.

No brass, percussion, and guard judge is ridiculous, and I suspect the scoring will be quite a bit closer with those judges added in

With that said though, that Visual Proficiency score is no fluke. Look at the past few competitions and you'll see that the Stars have been getting blasted in that caption every single time

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

With that said though, that Visual Proficiency score is no fluke. Look at the past few competitions and you'll see that the Stars have been getting blasted in that caption every single time

VP focuses on everyone that marches on the field except guard, correct?

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I didn’t realize the VP excludes guard, you could be correct though. 

12 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Not sure if the sheet has been revised since 2012, but the verbage clearly INCLUDES guard in VP evaluation.qIplEKl.png

Edited by brassboy

The Blue Stars uniforms are seriously problematic with regards to the Visual Proficiency caption.  I would expand, but I think this topic has been covered pretty well.

While I am a huge Mandarins fan (and have been for some time), I do think there is still A LOT of time left this summer before finals, so who knows what will happen.  I do feel confident that the Mandarins will continue to tweak and grow their program which will lead to them placing the highest they have ever placed.  More importantly, the corps is not getting obsessed with numbers or placement - they (both MMs and staff) are focused on creating the best show they can.  Most importantly, the MMs are having an incredible experience.  Morale has never been so high, alums have never been more proud, and everyone connected to the corps knows this year is very special!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Any more head to head meetings between BS and Mandarins outside of regionals? I’m having flashbacks to DIII. Hope there’s some back and forth movement. 

I don't really know how a partial panel impacts things, but from a historical perspective it doesn't seem to much. The only time I can think of when someone beat someone on a partial and never again was when Spirit beat Cavies in 2013. 

I thought, at the beginning of the season, Blue Stars were going to grab that 8th place spot. I still think their show is amazing and has so much potential. I thought the same thing with the Mandarins when I saw them at Stanford. It's going to be really interesting to see how these two, and Regiment, Crossmen, and BK, fare at the end of the season. It's been such a fun year. Happy for the Mandarins. That is a BIG accomplishment.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Not sure if the sheet has been revised since 2012, but the verbage clearly INCLUDES guard in VP evaluation.qIplEKl.png

Thanks for the clarification. I initially thought guard was excluded from VP because they have an achievement caption of their own.

• Like 1