Sioux City, IA - July 10, 2018

Just now, Cappybara said:

Well technically I can assume that, but you can choose to disagree with me about it! 

Ha! Fair play. And, you can. But, people assuming Mandarins only beat them on a partial panel might be disappointed. I'm not sure partial panels really impact placements much at all. The only time I have seen that is in 2013 when Spirt beat Cavies, but others might know of other instances.

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Ha! Fair play. And, you can. But, people assuming Mandarins only beat them on a partial panel might be disappointed. I'm not sure partial panels really impact placements much at all. The only time I have seen that is in 2013 when Spirt beat Cavies, but others might know of other instances.

Oh im not so sure Blue Stars will actually beat mandarins tonight, but I do think that the spread will be much tighter. We’ll see!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

But, people assuming Mandarins only beat them on a partial panel might be disappointed. I'm not sure partial panels really impact placements much at all. 

That seems to assume (ahem) that only those people rooting for another corps to beat the Mandarins can have a certain logical opinion about the impact of a partial panel.  I'm pretty sure logic is logic and math is math no matter who you are rooting for.  Otherwise, we could do away with conventional mathematics classes and just ask people to name their favorite numbers.

I am excited about the Mandarins and hope they do well this year, but 3 missing judges could potentially make a big difference, and magnifies the impact of any outliers.  I would not be surprised if the Mandarins stay ahead of the Blue Stars but I would not be surprised if they don't.  

Besides, if the Mandarins make finals, as it looks like they will, that is very exciting in its own right no matter where they place in the top 12!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

That seems to assume (ahem) that only those people rooting for another corps to beat the Mandarins can have a certain logical opinion about the impact of a partial panel.  I'm pretty sure logic is logic and math is math no matter who you are rooting for.  Otherwise, we could do away with conventional mathematics classes and just ask people to name their favorite numbers.

I am excited about the Mandarins and hope they do well this year, but 3 missing judges could potentially make a big difference, and magnifies the impact of any outliers.  I would not be surprised if the Mandarins stay ahead of the Blue Stars but I would not be surprised if they don't.  

Besides, if the Mandarins make finals, as it looks like they will, that is very exciting in its own right no matter where they place in the top 12!

My understanding is the judges that are there take over the roles for the judges who aren't there, so the VP judge was roping VA and CG into their assessment. Now I'm not sure how qualified said VP judge was to judge CG, I don't know.  SCV, Cavies, Mandarins and BS are my 4 favorite shows this year, so I want them all to do well. I still think Blue Stars have a tremendous show that could place as high as 7th. We'll see down the road. It's been an exciting year.