What additions/changes would you suggest?

After reading that Boston asked the male mm to grow beards if they're able too, I got to thinking.  (Scary thought right there.) With most corps getting comfortable with what they have been taught so far, what would you like to see any corps do to their show?  Make suggestions for any number of corps and as often as you want since someone's idea might give you another one.  Maybe some of the ideas presented are being considered, but most of us don't know that yet.

Boston

Corps have 11 minutes or so to tell a story.  I think it would be interesting for Boston to add to their story at each regional with some sort of result at finals.  They're on an island, so over time there should be changes to the island and their living conditions and maybe efforts to be saved.  The following ideas can be done.

-Use some of the trees to build lean too type shelters, so over time, the tree props are being used up.  A small fire should be burning throughout the show in the sleeping area.

-Without standard bathroom facilities, create an area marked as a latrine.  Maybe someone dies so have a burial scene.

-The mm should start looking over time dirty with wear and tear on their costumes.  Only dark colored makeup to look like dirt.  Maybe someone finishes a show on forest made crutches or a gurney and carried off the field.  A mm or two can be carried to the shelter areas because of an injury during a show.

-Over the course of a couple of weeks leading up to finals, start showing trees being dragged to the beach area and start building rafts.  Depending how the design staff wants the ending of finals to be, have at least two rafts built.  Make sure they have wheels hidden underneath so some mm can paddle off the field and into the exit tunnels.  Maybe they create a sail from forest/jungle type materials.

-Don't know what the DCI rules are on the following idea or if the stadium would allow it but I cant shake the thought how cool it would be.  On Saturday night finals (sorry doubters, they will make finals) near the end of the show, have a recording of a prop plane flying overhead from left to right.  The mm look upward, follow the plane, and three small parachutes are dropped (2/3 seconds apart) from the cat walk.  Those chutes that athletes use to train with might work great with a box attached to each one.  Just big enough to drop and drop slowly.  Two land on the field and one near the DM stand.  The DM opens the box and faces the crowd holding a Wilson volleyball with a bloody hand smeared on it.   Yeah, I know, this would never be allowed/done, but the visuals and crowd response would be "priceless"!

Have fun if you participate.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

After reading that Boston asked the male mm to grow beards if they're able too, I got to thinking.  (Scary thought right there.) With most corps getting comfortable with what they have been taught so far, what would you like to see any corps do to their show?  Make suggestions for any number of corps and as often as you want since someone's idea might give you another one.  Maybe some of the ideas presented are being considered, but most of us don't know that yet.

Boston

Corps have 11 minutes or so to tell a story.  I think it would be interesting for Boston to add to their story at each regional with some sort of result at finals.  They're on an island, so over time there should be changes to the island and their living conditions and maybe efforts to be saved.  The following ideas can be done.

-Use some of the trees to build lean too type shelters, so over time, the tree props are being used up.  A small fire should be burning throughout the show in the sleeping area.

-Without standard bathroom facilities, create an area marked as a latrine.  Maybe someone dies so have a burial scene.

-The mm should start looking over time dirty with wear and tear on their costumes.  Only dark colored makeup to look like dirt.  Maybe someone finishes a show on forest made crutches or a gurney and carried off the field.  A mm or two can be carried to the shelter areas because of an injury during a show.

-Over the course of a couple of weeks leading up to finals, start showing trees being dragged to the beach area and start building rafts.  Depending how the design staff wants the ending of finals to be, have at least two rafts built.  Make sure they have wheels hidden underneath so some mm can paddle off the field and into the exit tunnels.  Maybe they create a sail from forest/jungle type materials.

-Don't know what the DCI rules are on the following idea or if the stadium would allow it but I cant shake the thought how cool it would be.  On Saturday night finals (sorry doubters, they will make finals) near the end of the show, have a recording of a prop plane flying overhead from left to right.  The mm look upward, follow the plane, and three small parachutes are dropped (2/3 seconds apart) from the cat walk.  Those chutes that athletes use to train with might work great with a box attached to each one.  Just big enough to drop and drop slowly.  Two land on the field and one near the DM stand.  The DM opens the box and faces the crowd holding a Wilson volleyball with a bloody hand smeared on it.   Yeah, I know, this would never be allowed/done, but the visuals and crowd response would be "priceless"!

Have fun if you participate.

The problem with this is, it is still a competition even though we have been and more so now a theme based production. There can be small things like the beard thing and maybe a few things you mentioned BUT it takes a lot of time to develop every part of a show, to continually change something would never be clean with 150 involved. With Boston, one can wear down all the costuming as the season goes on and prop alterations. 

With that said, not all shows progress or need to as time goes on. What I mean by progress is within the storyline.

• Like 1

I have said similar on Madison thread, but it is OK to plagiarize yourself

Madison should completely dump current show & replace it with the 1975 show (except replace Slaughter with Stars & Stripes Forever).

Learn the new music on bus; work on drill at every opportunity.  Maybe pull out of a few shows.  Also, bust out the old uniforms.

This approach worked in 1976 when the 'Disco Show' was scoring poorly - ended up in 2nd place.

Might work again.  Certainly would give the fans something to discuss

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

The problem with this is, it is still a competition even though we have been and more so now a theme based production. There can be small things like the beard thing and maybe a few things you mentioned BUT it takes a lot of time to develop every part of a show, to continually change something would never be clean with 150 involved.  

You're correct, but with all the changes being done to help sell the theme, like costume's, why can't the theme of a show be dragged out over the course of the season?  I feel Boston has a theme this year that could add excitement and anticipation with easily added changes whether by the mm or props.

Edited by Ghost

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You're correct, but with all the changes being done to help sell the theme, like costume's, why can't the theme of a show be dragged out over the course of the season?  I feel Boston has a theme this year that could add excitement and anticipation with easily added changes whether by the mm or props.

A show progressing is cool BUT when does it get taught and cleaned. No changes on tour are easy for anyone and time restrictions can take a good show and make it a hot mess by the end IMO Like I said , still a competition..for now...lol:peek:

small things like a prop or the beard thing or tearing up the corps uniform could give the illusion of time passing 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ghost is basically inviting some fun brainstorming with current show theme developments. Ghost even concedes that some of his ideas are probably not even "legal." Why the nay-saying?

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

A show progressing is cool BUT when does it get taught and cleaned. No changes on tour are easy for anyone and time restrictions can take a good show and make it a hot mess by the end IMO Like I said , still a competition..for now...lol:peek:

small things like a prop or the beard thing or tearing up the corps uniform could give the illusion of time passing 

is this the time to replay all those DCP comments of the last few years about all the changes Cadets made mid-tour and yet the shows never quite made it...?...!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Ghost is basically inviting some fun brainstorming with current show theme developments. He even concedes that some of his ideas are probably not even "legal." Why the nay-saying?

not naysaying..if you want to throw out time and whats realistically possible within our activity, even throwing rules out then ok if total fantasy go for it. NOW there are things as I mentioned within time constraints and reality. I think his idea is ok and being done to a degree.

Edited by GUARDLING

I'm looking forward to Bluecoat's final ending... I have a feeling there is going to be some drill - not just a BD-esque slow walk to the front park and blow -

maybe push the chairs up to the front and the guard whips their flags back over the chairs....

• Like 2

CLOSER:

Tour bus on field. Horn players emerge in fear as Bloo percussion chew them out with

I’m up there workin’ my balls off tryin’ to do somebody a favor and you m****s are suckin’ all over this joint. What kind of trumpet section do you call this tonight? And mellos! You gotta f*****’ be kiddin’ me!

a la Buddy Rich rants

Gotta get those perc scores up! GE for days!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2