It's time for original music

I just discovered something cool: Flo has all of the World Class performances (high cam) from the Rose Bowl show available to watch. But every single one of them has this message below the video:

The recording is muted due to the music being protected by copyright laws.

It's a new world, a new activity. Our activity has evolved greatly over the last few years, and we now have the capability to have shows from the current season available on a subscription basis on demand! But this entire function doesn't work because of copyright laws.

Now, copyright laws have a place, I'm not debating that at all. But corps need to own their music. It's not a matter of 'just getting through the season' anymore, they're developing marketable content that unfortunately cannot be effectively marketed. And that's because they don't own their music. They basically rent it, and only a part of it.

The first solutions is simple: Want more? Spend more!

But this is a cash-strapped activity, so that solution doesn't fly. In my mind, this leaves only one solution left: corps need to play all original music every year. Just like how the drill is written for them, just like how the guard work is written for them, the music needs to be written for them!

What say you, DCP?

• Like 1

I would think that it might not matter how much one would spend, if the judging community is less than likely to reward the outcome.  When was the last time it was attempted and how long has it been since?  I doubt anyone will take the risk for the perceived lack of reward in a judged contest

• Like 1

"Original music" is not some magical solution. Even compositions created specifically for drum corps are subject to the same copyright law as any other song or composition. And while a composer might cut DCI and their media providers a break, they certainly don't have to, especially if they work with a publisher for their work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

"Original music" is not some magical solution. Even compositions created specifically for drum corps are subject to the same copyright law as any other song or composition. And while a composer might cut DCI and their media providers a break, they certainly don't have to, especially if they work with a publisher for their work.

there are only a handful of arrangers out there who can take already great music by master composers, and make it sound great for a marching brass ensemble

great music writing is hard to find. period. 

the original music argument works great for the large number of people out there who are much more greatly focused on the visual aspects of dci. just not me personally. 

• Like 1

There's lots of good music that is old enough to be in the public domain and has never been played by drum corps.

(Also copyright laws are, on the whole, very bad and should mostly be scrapped.)

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

There's lots of good music that is old enough to be in the public domain and has never been played by drum corps.

(Also copyright laws are, on the whole, very bad and should mostly be scrapped.)

Yes to your first point. 

I don’t think copyright laws are, on the whole, bad. 

Though it is a can of worms, if a corps were to create (and own) material it could be a source of revenue for them... and that’s a good thing in this costly activity. 

Remember guys, this isn't an issue that plagues performances. The amount of publishers that deny use or price rights out of the range of most corps is very minimal. The problem is for audio and video recorded and sold after the fact. Not to mention (but apparently we must repeatedly) this isn't the corps' problem.

The individual corps securing arranging rights, the show sponsors secure performance rights, and the media companies secure streaming/synchronization/mechanical rights. Three sets of rights, three different groups responsible.

Original music doesn't solve any of the problems being discussed.

• Like 2