Zionsville, IN - July 11, 2018

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

You are blessed. 

Except for the reason behind having an extra ticket. But yes, its kind of like getting an airline upgrade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hope they made them roomy.  I’m tired of being crammed in a space adequate for a skinny 12 year old.  I’m looking at you Mason high school. 

Yeah that was pretty rough. I felt bad for Kevingamin sitting a few seats to my left trying to find a way to give DCP a play by play with his laptop. It was also incredibly awkward that the teenage girl behind me was REALLY tall and had her legs halfway wrapped around me.... She felt bad and was a little embarrassed lol.

Edited by DasTuba
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Morning after... feel a touch bad about the initial reaction to the Blue Devils. How is that not a great show and great talent performing it?

The reaction remains pretty true, however. Maybe it was a result of my specific positioning in the stands. I really don’t want to hear something reminiscent of dorm speakers again. Anxious for a better experience in St. Louis.

Cavaliers are kind of classy this year. Best unis on the field. Great show. Just as a fan, it’s a bit dispiriting that whatever goes into judging results in something so in contrast to what I saw and heard.

No idea what Phantom is trying to do story-wise. But I like large parts of it. WGI, though it is, I like that performance space they created in front. Especially when the battery takes over.

Madison looked good to me. Pretty sure it isn’t what I would prefer from Madison. But just looking at a corps show, it has good moments. The costumes are good, too. Again, if you put aside that it’s Madison. Two women band directors sitting in front of me were thrilled to see and hear the female soloist.

Legends has work to do this month, but I enjoyed their music and sound. Maybe a few too many derivative thiings from others’ shows.

Edited by mjoakes
Grammar.

21 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

The reaction remains pretty true, however. Maybe it was a result of my specific positioning in the stands. I really don’t want to hear something reminiscent of dorm speakers again. Anxious for a better experience in St. Louis.

you should not feel bad about your opinion - the Devils' sound equipment is too loud

a new drum corps fan, who has a strong background in music education, mentioned to me after the show at Minneapolis that the sound system just overpowers and over balances the corps at times.

We, the audience need to stand up to the Devs and be honest with them -- your sound system physically hurts peoples -- it does not need to be that loud - your hornline and drumline are perfectly powerful and do not need to be over-powered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blakman7 said:

Someone finally said it, THANK YOU!! While I think that BD is an amazing corps and in my opinion has the best design team in the activity, their use of electronics is just way too much! Their brass is always mic'ed up and one tends to hear more of the amplified sound than the beautiful sounds coming out of the ends of those bells. I SO miss the days when BD would blow the skin off of your face while on the move with no help by way of mics but unfortunately those days are gone. It just seems like in this day in age, BD does a lot of powerful volume by way of standing still and mics spread widely across the sidelines. Don't get me wrong, BD is still amazing in every way possible but I just miss the good ole days of loud and powerful drum and bugle corps. I get it though, things have to evolve. Go ahead BD homers......release the hounds.

I would disagree that BD's big sound is mostly because of standstill and mics.  They spread the hornline out a lot.  More than most others do.  That said, they do need to tone down the amplification.  No argument there.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Fun fact: The bleachers here in Zionsville had no numbers. So DCI had to put a line of plastic tape down the center of each bleacher row, then place sticker on the plastic with the seat numbers. 

They did this last year at the Atlanta show as well. It was... interesting. Watched one woman sit down and slide to her spot, took the entire row's tape with her!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Morning after... feel a touch bad about the initial reaction to the Blue Devils. How is that not a great show and great talent performing it?

Cavaliers are kind of classy this year. Best unis on the field. Great show. Just as a fan, it’s a bit dispiriting that whatever goes into judging results in something so in contrast to what I saw and heard.

No idea what Phantom is trying to do story-wise. But I like large parts of it. WGI, though it is, I like that performance space they created in front. Especially when the battery takes over.

Madison looked good to me. Pretty sure it isn’t what I would prefer from Madison. But just looking at a corps show, it has good moments. The costumes are good, too. Again, if you put aside that it’s Madison. Two women band directors sitting in front of me were thrilled to see and hear the female soloist.

Legends has work to do this month, but I enjoyed their music and sound. Maybe a few too many derivative thiings from others’ shows.

Re:Cavaliers. Don’t know how noticeable it was from the stands, but my son said they had some issues with the tarps last night and that multiple MM’s tripped with several falling to the ground. In other words, not the smoothest run. And still have Devils in their sights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DasTuba said:

Yeah that was pretty rough. I felt bad for Kevingamin sitting a few seats to my left trying to find a way to give DCP a play by play with his laptop. It was also incredibly awkward that the teenage girl behind me was REALLY tall and had her legs halfway wrapped around me.... She felt bad and was a little embarrassed lol.

Ha! Pretty sure that was my group. Don’t worry, she was more upset with the lady sitting behind her who kept pushing her forward with her knees!

The guy sitting in front of me took up a bit of extra space (I don’t blame him), but I had to contort my legs in a painful way, had cramps all night. I won’t be going back to Mason without additionally buying the seats in front of me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Ha! Pretty sure that was my group. Don’t worry, she was more upset with the lady sitting behind her who kept pushing her forward with her knees!

The guy sitting in front of me took up a bit of extra space (I don’t blame him), but I had to contort my legs in a painful way, had cramps all night. I won’t be going back to Mason without additionally buying the seats in front of me.

That could be why she was practically hugging me with her legs haha, man that was so awkward. I definitely got the girl in front of me with my knees by accident a couple times.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

I would disagree that BD's big sound is mostly because of standstill and mics.  They spread the hornline out a lot.  More than most others do.  That said, they do need to tone down the amplification.  No argument there.

Yes. BD does spread out more that others. AND I do agree that the amps need to be "soften" a bit to get that quality sound. I have no doubt that the staff is working on that.