Ogden, UT - July 11, 2018

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I believe this was the last show scheduled this year for Columbians. Maybe next year they can extend their season to get to the mid-season SoCal championships, as Battalion is doing this year.

I am told by the parent of a MM that they will be doing exactly that next year.

3 hours ago, tedrick said:

that is a ridiculous number for Vanguard - 

Whoever planned the tour: it does not really help the competition when you put a top 3 corps out in a backwater loop of shows for a month before having them join up with the main competition -- it would have been better for a 6 - 12 place corps be out there on that tour leg - more competitive for the other corps and that big bopper would be going head to head with the top competition --

This has been a great tour for BAC this year - look at how going head to head every night with the top 5 has strengthened them -- 

Vanguard - you're good.... but that is an artificially high number.

I agree it’s an artificially high number

BUT you can’t blame DCI for this. They can’t know what corps are going to place where the next year, and not all corps can finance a trip to the west coast. In addition, let’s not disrespect the Blue Knights here, they’re very much in the 6-12 range you just described 

• Like 1

Whoever planned the tour: it does not really help the competition when you put a top 3 corps out in a backwater loop of shows for a month before having them join up with the main competition -- it would have been better for a 6 - 12 place corps be out there on that tour leg - more competitive for the other corps and that big bopper would be going head to head with the top competition --

This has been a great tour for BAC this year - look at how going head to head every night with the top 5 has strengthened them -- 

Surely it's not THAT ridiculous. It may be a few tenths off one way or the other, but that doesn't mean that they aren't performing at a level undeserving of those scores.

• Like 1

Cadets were supposed to make a West Coast tour this year until they scrapped it.  I can't remember if they were going to be at the Ogden show, but they WERE going to be at the DATR show.

In any case, we all know that these scores really have very little meaning...until the SA show.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mega said:

If the judges aren't catching on, I hope OC makes changes so it does. At this rate they may not make Semi's. There's only 1 month left in the season.

I know.  That is what I thought too.  There just isn't much room for corps that are lagging.  Open class is too good and all too eager to fill those last semi spots.  

OC has performed a show every day except for one for the past week.  Hopefully before the Denver show they get a few days to clean, adjust, make use of judge comments.  I would just hate to see this great show not make semis.  Would be a disaster for OC.

Last year's corps was the most talented they've ever had, and I'm including the years my son marched, lol - (he aged out four years ago).  I'm kind of wishing last year's corps had this year's show.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tedrick said:

put a top 3 corps out in a backwater loop of shows for a month

BD did this same loop last year.  Didn't hurt them any.  They simply kicked butt the whole season the way SCV is doing THIS year.

SCV has done this arm of tour several years in the past.  The pacific northwest, Utah, Colorado - is hardly a 'backwater loop'.  Back in 2011, Cadets did this arm also, and won gold.  And yes, they were scheduled to come out west this year originally but cancelled.  BK has been along for the ride as well.  They aren't exactly chopped liver.

Perhaps you're just upset that SCV is scoring higher than your corps of choice and you're looking to blame, I don't know, a region? 

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, tedrick said:

That’s an argument that can swing both ways. On the one hand, going head to head could make them more competitive. On the other hand, hearing judges critiques and working on them in a less pressured atmosphere can also be beneficial too. Though I do agree, SCV’s score seems a bit high.

26 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Perhaps you're just upset that SCV is scoring higher than your corps of choice and you're looking to blame, I don't know, a region? 

nailed it -

I'm upset that Vanguard has busted an 86, artificially inflating the ceiling - I'm looking to blame whoever is responsible for the schedule -- it would be more exciting if the top 6 from the previous year were grouped together the follow season -- I appreciate that it's not possible for all of the top 6 to have the identical tour -- but if you're in the top 6, you should be required to travel further, bring your show to the primary venues after the 4th of July --- get midwest, get east, go head to head sooner --

set the schedule so at least once ever 4 years the West/North West arm of the tour is given priority and the top 6 needs to make it out to those shows --

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

but if you're in the top 6, you should be required to travel further, bring your show to the primary venues after the 4th of July --- get midwest, get east, go head to head sooner --

set the schedule so at least once ever 4 years the West/North West arm of the tour is given priority and the top 6 needs to make it out to those shows --

So something similar to the TOC format?

15 minutes ago, tedrick said:

but if you're in the top 6, you should be required to travel further, bring your show to the primary venues after the 4th of July --- get midwest, get east, go head to head sooner --

I'd be all in for bigger shows out west once in awhile.  But I'm also realistic.  Fuel prices come to mind... it's just too expensive and not sustainable.  Fans are JUST GOING TO HAVE TO BE PATIENT until San Antonio!  

SCV's show IS a bad a$$ though.  Just sayin'...  It could just be that they deserve the scores they are receiving.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1