Ogden, UT - July 11, 2018

3 hours ago, euphononium said:

This argument is tired and old. I heard it when I marched many years ago and ended up beating all the west coast corps at Finals. The answer is simple: the ceiling in Ogden was different than the ceiling in [insert any city here] on July 11th, 2018. I’m willing to bet if the Cadets had made the trip, they probably would have performed after PC, and SCV would have an even higher number. YES - they are THAT GOOD.

But. IT DOES NOT MATTER. This happens EVERY YEAR and everyone makes the joke “BD will score 114 at finals”. Yet somehow, year after year, the scores sort themselves out after they all meet up. The TOC format won’t change the end result, and neither does the current format. What you’re proposing would just take top corps out of shows from all over the country, forcing them to spend more money, and concentrate them in specific areas, which I don’t think is fair to fans or MM. Wondering what will happen after 3 weeks of 8 corps not meeting head to head and scoring nearly the same numbers is dramatic and builds excitement for a months long season. 

Imagine if the NBA or MLB did this? It wouldn’t work, it would immediately alienate and cut off 75% of the fan base (see: $$$$$) and it would be (even more) boring.

Nice to hear some old fashioned common sense.  I am frankly quite surprised at the continuation of this silly brew ha ha over something that WILL BE RESOLVED VERY SOON.

3 hours ago, euphononium said:

Imagine if the NBA or MLB did this? It wouldn’t work, it would immediately alienate and cut off 75% of the fan base (see: $$$$$) and it would be (even more) boring.

The NBA already does this in the form of the golden state warriors. I think I already know who’s winning the championship in 2020 :lle:

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

The score is one thing being so high but is it an advantage. Running the tables every night against BK does not hone in on your weaknesses that may need attention.

While it's termed a "competition", when all is said and done, you are only competing for the judges. It doesn't matter the level of the other Corps at the show -- the judges will point out your strengths and weaknesses. 

• Like 4

People will see at San Antonio that SCV is in the drivers seat this year. So, everyone just be patient and see. They will also see that Bluecoats will be battling Cavies for 3rd.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

While it's termed a "competition", when all is said and done, you are only competing for the judges. It doesn't matter the level of the other Corps at the show -- the judges will point out your strengths and weaknesses. 

The judges are also handicapped with a lack of competition. Acing every caption every night does not enable SCV to discover what captions are going to be the most competitive when the other corps are in the mix especially with the amount of time this leg of the tour consumed. Not to take anything a way from SCV they are the corps to beat but if they are I would point to the non-competitive portion of the tour.  

4 hours ago, euphononium said:

Ha. I think they do. All professional sports. I don't know how anyone cannot think it's all rigged - at least when the playoffs start. With literally billions of dollars on the line, I don't know how it cannot be rigged by those pulling at the purse strings. It's not about the game, it's about the dollar.

Edited by queenanne_1536

43 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

The judges are also handicapped with a lack of competition. Acing every caption every night does not enable SCV to discover what captions are going to be the most competitive when the other corps are in the mix especially with the amount of time this leg of the tour consumed. Not to take anything a way from SCV they are the corps to beat but if they are I would point to the non-competitive portion of the tour.  

True, but at the same time they are getting feedback from judges about what's working, what's not working, what they are doing well, and what they are not doing so well. The staff would also be aware of the areas they need to work on. 

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

At a show with a single "Top 6" Corps and others in the lower tiers, numbers management is not an issue with the top Corps.  The judges then are free to go by "the sheets" in assigning the scores.

You would hope this happens all the time (judging to the sheets), but at a crowded regional, numbers management comes into play a bit more.

That's how I look at it. 

• Like 1