Ogden, UT - July 11, 2018

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

People in flyover country shouldn't get to see the top corps?

Flyover corps Kilties, Chicago Royal Airs, Chicago Cavaliers and Madison dominated the 60's till the rest of the country copied their style, go figure

20 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Flyover corps Kilties, Chicago Royal Airs, Chicago Cavaliers and Madison dominated the 60's till the rest of the country copied their style, go figure

St. Kevin's, Blessed Sac, Boston Crusaders, Garfield, St. Lucy's, and others that I can't recall, may dispute your claim.  Tony S. helped the mid west dominate the VFW Nationals.

I was there for all of it and wish I could live it all over again. The point being region wise mid-west won more championships in the 1960s from flyover country than the east or west. It's a fact, no bias.

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Yes, my copies of The History of Drum& Bugle Corps, by Steve Vickers shows the results.  The bias was shown by some VFW officials.

Well I haven't needed Steve Vickers for anything since he tried to extort funds from the Railmen over a tee shirt image in Madison, boy did he try to intimidate them Railmen what a scream.

Yep bias back then too. Skyliners ripping their patches off in retreat.

12 hours ago, tedrick said:

that is a ridiculous number for Vanguard - 

Whoever planned the tour: it does not really help the competition when you put a top 3 corps out in a backwater loop of shows for a month before having them join up with the main competition -- it would have been better for a 6 - 12 place corps be out there on that tour leg - more competitive for the other corps and that big bopper would be going head to head with the top competition --

This has been a great tour for BAC this year - look at how going head to head every night with the top 5 has strengthened them -- 

Vanguard - you're good.... but that is an artificially high number.

Oh please.... SCV has done the Pacific Northwest and then eastbound tour for years and nobody cared. Now they are a threat and it's an issue? Yes, I am biased, but that number is deserved. Ok, maybe it will turn out to be an anomaly....and maybe you haven't seen their show live. But I feel like SCV is finally getting the credit they deserve. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Or destroying some hotel rooms after the 66 AL Nationals in DC. 

Throwing a uniform over a statue and bringing it back to the post, hanging a bus driver over a bridge. Tommy Swan (rest his soul) was our horn instructor. But how creepy is this if it happened today. Across from Newark Armory where Corps honed their MM in the Winter there was a Drum Corps bar no Yankee's or Giants pix on wall but Sky, Hurks, Cabs photos. Jimmy the owner had poor vision so a 16 or 17 year old would show their real ID but Jimmy couldn't see the print so would get up real close and feel for stubble on your face. Always got the money right but had to hold over a light we loved talking drum corps with Jimmy. Great times back then but the Corps didn't share the bar together, Lucy's would come in the front while BS was going out the back.

• Like 2

Just stop. SCV score is not inflated.  Beat Knights by 7.3, similar margin as recent previous shows.  Same night BK scores 78.95, Stars 78.75, Mandarines 78.6,  Regiment 78.9.  Stars, Mandarines, Regiment have been swapping close wins in recent shows together and are essentially even.  Knights beat Mandarines by 1.55 in their last meeting.  So unless Mandarins have caught Knights, either SCV and Knights are under scored or Stars, Mandarines, Regiment were over scored and therefore so was Devils as they were in the same contest as Regiment. Assuming Mandarines have caught Knights (thought doubful) then it can be argued that SCV is 7.3 ahead of Regiment who BD beat by 5.9.    Comparing scores then shows SCV is 1.4 ahead of BD which is exactly what the scores show (SCV 86.25, BD 84.8).  Do the math.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1