Recommended Posts

I approach these kinds of threads a little sheepishly since I'm fortunate to have an hour drive north to downtown Indy. Glad so many of you invest much more time and resources to get there. I'd likely do the same if finals moved elsewhere - but I have the kind of summer schedule that makes it relatively easy to do so.

Downtown hotel rates are pretty reasonable if you go through DCI and their Visit Indy link.

I'll repeat one of the biggest complaints about Indy: The dearth of places for late-night cocktails. I think The Eagle on Mass Ave that Terri mentioned is open into early morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I approach these kinds of threads a little sheepishly since I'm fortunate to have an hour drive north to downtown Indy. Glad so many of you invest much more time and resources to get there. I'd likely do the same if finals moved elsewhere - but I have the kind of summer schedule that makes it relatively easy to do so.

Downtown hotel rates are pretty reasonable if you go through DCI and their Visit Indy link.

I'll repeat one of the biggest complaints about Indy: The dearth of places for late-night cocktails. I think The Eagle on Mass Ave that Terri mentioned is open into early morning.

$200 a night is better than the normal rates, but there's nothing reasonable about them. :mat: But I know, it's a large city and downtown. Comes with the territory.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BDCorno said:

$200 a night is better than the normal rates, but there's nothing reasonable about them. :mat: But I know, it's a large city and downtown. Comes with the territory.

You're right about $200. For 2-3 nights, that adds up fast.

I have traveled a bit this summer and booked more hotels than usual. Even Whitewater was a little pricey. Staying in Katy, TX next Friday night, and a Courtyard there is pushing up my budget. Allentown, too.

I  mind less the expense in San Antonio and Indy where I can park and walk where I need to go. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

You're right about $200. For 2-3 nights, that adds up fast.

I have traveled a bit this summer and booked more hotels than usual. Even Whitewater was a little pricey. Staying in Katy, TX next Friday night, and a Courtyard there is pushing up my budget. Allentown, too.

I  mind less the expense in San Antonio and Indy where I can park and walk where I need to go. 

I’ll be Uber’ing in from the airport hotel area because of the $200+ per night pricetag...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m seeing a few comments about hotel prices. This year I did book through Visit Indy/DCI. I just looked on the hotel website. One room is available to $195 per night. The Visit Indy price is $139 per night and an email I received a few weeks ago said this does not include a AAA discount. You do save with Visit Indy.

In the past I have stayed at hotels near Southport Crossing.  You can get very reasonable rates at the hotels which are your standard Days Inn, Quality Inn, Country Inn, etc. There are lots of chain restaurants including Steak and Shake, Cracker Barrell, Panera, and similar places. In some of the hotels the price increases on the Friday and Saturday evenings and it does turn out to be the busiest weekend of the summer. An added bonus: some years there have been lots of parents at the hotels and their children meet up with them to go home. Very interesting breakfast conversations on Sunday AM.

You know what’s sad, one month from now all these threads will be predicting 2019. Summer passes too quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll be staying at the JW once again this year and tend to wander from bar to bar after the shows.  I can’t wait!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ajlemm said:

I’ll be Uber’ing in from the airport hotel area because of the $200+ per night pricetag...

Sadly, even though the motorcycle race isn't in town, the airport hotels aren't the deal they were a few years ago. You could get rooms at around $100 a few years ago, but now they're creeping up toward the DTI prices. :sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't get any closer than the Holiday Inn Express right across the street from LOS and adjacent to the beer garden. Stay there every year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BDCorno said:

$200 a night is better than the normal rates, but there's nothing reasonable about them. :mat: But I know, it's a large city and downtown. Comes with the territory.

 

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

You're right about $200. For 2-3 nights, that adds up fast.

I have traveled a bit this summer and booked more hotels than usual. Even Whitewater was a little pricey. Staying in Katy, TX next Friday night, and a Courtyard there is pushing up my budget. Allentown, too.

I  mind less the expense in San Antonio and Indy where I can park and walk where I need to go. 

 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I’m seeing a few comments about hotel prices. This year I did book through Visit Indy/DCI. I just looked on the hotel website. One room is available to $195 per night. The Visit Indy price is $139 per night and an email I received a few weeks ago said this does not include a AAA discount. You do save with Visit Indy.

In the past I have stayed at hotels near Southport Crossing.  You can get very reasonable rates at the hotels which are your standard Days Inn, Quality Inn, Country Inn, etc. There are lots of chain restaurants including Steak and Shake, Cracker Barrell, Panera, and similar places. In some of the hotels the price increases on the Friday and Saturday evenings and it does turn out to be the busiest weekend of the summer. An added bonus: some years there have been lots of parents at the hotels and their children meet up with them to go home. Very interesting breakfast conversations on Sunday AM.

You know what’s sad, one month from now all these threads will be predicting 2019. Summer passes too quickly.

You folks must like a mint on your pillow and cut flowers.

$250 plus breakfast for five nights ain't bad.   https://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBHIFdXNfdXSIAQGYATHCAQNhYm7IARTYAQPoAQH4AQKSAgF5qAIE;sid=49beaf968f5a19fac815508371e49c30;checkin_month=8;checkin_monthday=7;checkin_year=2018;checkout_month=8;checkout_monthday=12;checkout_year=2018;class_interval=1;dest_id=20037880;dest_type=city;from_sf=1;group_adults=2;group_children=0;label_click=undef;no_rooms=1;raw_dest_type=city;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;src_elem=sb;ss=Indianapolis;ssb=empty;ssne=Indianapolis;ssne_untouched=Indianapolis&;order=price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Sure, you can find great deals if you want to drive. I won't need a rental car, won't have to drive anywhere, can go back to the hotel in five minutes and take a nap during prelims if I want, don't have to pay parking, etc.. Certainly a convenience factor there. I can pretty well predict that the bed at the Omni will be juuuuust a bit more comfortable than the ones at the Super 8. I've stayed at a couple. I'll be having a few adult beverages during the week too...nice to have to only make it to and from the elevator lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.