Dubuque, IA - July 13, 2018

The electronics being out would have been the least of the issues with performing tonight. It wasn’t just rain, it was a severe thunderstorm. DCI actually has an organization-wide policy requiring corps to go either inside, on buses, or under stands if there’s lightning within 15 miles. Additionally, the kind of wind we had tonight would have made it completely impossible for guard to perform and really hard for everyone else. Finally, the rain itself was so hard that the scoreboard wasn’t visible from the gate. Ain’t nobody doing a show in that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I marched in the BE years — Before Electronics — and if there wasn’t lightning, we went on anyway.  I remember the ‘81 DCM Championship at DeKalb where we performed in a driving rain.  It was FUN!

There WAS lightning. There was a thunderstorm advisory the entire evening. 

10 hours ago, BlueStarsDad said:

Should make Sunday even more interesting ...  first Phantom, Crossmen, Mandarins, Blue Stars match up.

Agree, especially considering Mandarins are not at Dekalb, as the other three are. [hoping it is not rained out as well......] I usually go to NIU, but opted for STL instead this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAZZER said:

Agree, especially considering Mandarins are not at Dekalb, as the other three are. [hoping it is not rained out as well......] I usually go to NIU, but opted for STL instead this year.

Us, too. Dekalb is 28 miles west on 88 but we are going to St. Louis instead. 

12 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

The electronics being out would have been the least of the issues with performing tonight. It wasn’t just rain, it was a severe thunderstorm. DCI actually has an organization-wide policy requiring corps to go either inside, on buses, or under stands if there’s lightning within 15 miles. Additionally, the kind of wind we had tonight would have made it completely impossible for guard to perform and really hard for everyone else. Finally, the rain itself was so hard that the scoreboard wasn’t visible from the gate. Ain’t nobody doing a show in that.

Whitewater 1982.  Huge thunderstorm abt 60 min before step-off.  After it passed but it was still a bit misty out, 27's horn line was playing "Danny Boy' in the distance.  Magical.