St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

Garfield Cadets 1984

Could you remind me of the placement? If this is true Bluecoats would need a once every 34 year event to happen (if they stay where they are which is not a given).

1 minute ago, hughesmr said:

Having not heard them live, what exactly is the issue/issues holding back Bloo's percussion?  They sound really good on the feeds to me, well integrated, stylistically coherent...  Thoughts?

For me, it's the book. The kids are talented as always but the book just doesn't add much to the program. The brass and singer really carry the show musically I think. Reminds me of Crown's issue a few years back with their lines. 

3 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Still feels like SCV’s year to me. They’re amazing. Who knows what will happen though. Fact that they’ve a

ready beat BD twice makes this year feel different.  Been a while since that has happened.

As a BD honk i gotta make sure SCV gets their credit. They got BD three times. BD got SCV twice. They are both throwing haymakers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not sure that is true... 83 and 84 were the weak percussion years but I believe they were still in the top six (if not sixth) though I could be wrong.

Boston is helping out Bloo a TON.

3 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

It's not a percussion focus but just a percussion judge doing music analysis. Some of us percussionists know some things about brass too ;)

From DCI's article (https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results) on the panel change...

"this summer there will no longer be a percussion ensemble judge. Instead there will be two music analysis judges utilized. One of those music analysis judges will have a percussion emphasis and the other will have a brass emphasis."

Emphasis: special importance, value, or prominence given to something

1 minute ago, snare_guy_83 said:

From DCI's article (https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results) on the panel change...

"this summer there will no longer be a percussion ensemble judge. Instead there will be two music analysis judges utilized. One of those music analysis judges will have a percussion emphasis and the other will have a brass emphasis."

Emphasis: special importance, value, or prominence given to something

But might that just refer to their background, not how they weight their scoring?

Twice now BD has had higher achievement than content scores for guard, but a few spots of the show look thin, so they will undoubtedly be adding more stuff.

Cavaliers have great writing, but havent been near clean yet and may have a challenge getting there.

• Like 2