St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

Bloooooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

From DCI's article (https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results) on the panel change...

"this summer there will no longer be a percussion ensemble judge. Instead there will be two music analysis judges utilized. One of those music analysis judges will have a percussion emphasis and the other will have a brass emphasis."

Emphasis: special importance, value, or prominence given to something

Given that, wouldn't a weak percussion score hurt the music analysis score? How can Bluecoats be 6th in perc but 1st/2nd in Music Analysis? 

• Like 2

I don’t understand Blue Stars being a point over Mandarins.    

I have a strong feeling that will NOT happen for much longer.   

• Haha 1

Looks like all the top corps can come away with some good news tonight.  Boston needs more GE and accept for guard, more visual.  Great to read how well the brass/percussion is matching up.  Congrats to the guard for #1 in substance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

From DCI's article (https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results) on the panel change...

"this summer there will no longer be a percussion ensemble judge. Instead there will be two music analysis judges utilized. One of those music analysis judges will have a percussion emphasis and the other will have a brass emphasis."

Emphasis: special importance, value, or prominence given to something

You're proving my point lol. Both are judging one caption, Music Analysis. One is a percussion judge, the other is a brass judge. Emphasis isn't meaning they are only watching those specific sections. They are both looking at the whole music package utilizing their different backgrounds.

1 minute ago, just_another_fanatic said:

Given that, wouldn't a weak percussion score hurt the music analysis score? How can Bluecoats be 6th in perc but 1st/2nd in Music Analysis? 

And why doesn't that, and a 4th in guard, bleed into GE too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I don’t understand Blue Stars being a point over Mandarins.    

I have a strong feeling that will NOT happen for much longer.   

I absolutely understand that. Blue Stars show is much more demanding than Mandarins. The Mandarins staff put out a smart and effective program. A program to get them into finals, not challenge for 8th place. Blue Stars staff gave them a program that could at least challenge for 8th place. If they were executing better that program would challenge the Cadets.

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

But might that just refer to their background, not how they weight their scoring?

then why use the word emphasis twice?

why not just say "there will be two music analysis judges now"?

seems very misleading if both are judging holistically.