St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

1 minute ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I don’t understand Blue Stars being a point over Mandarins.    

I have a strong feeling that will NOT happen for much longer.   

I think it's a cleaning issue. Mandarins are adding to and making changes to their show, so I imagine they're not finding the time to clean yet. Three more weeks on tour can make a world of difference there.

• Thanks 1

After tonight, it definitely seems like it's a three-horse race. But looking at the recaps, I think gold is going to be between BD/SCV-- they have no weaknesses, whereas Bloo's percussion might be the thing that takes them out of contention. Bloo's brass and GE scores might erase the difference, but SCV has a killer brass line and a GE-monster show too.

Excited for the upcoming week when we'll get a better picture of where corps fall into place. 

• Like 1

Great show tonight.  If they have this again, I’ll return.  I wish there wasn’t so much up and down from people, especially during the shows.   It was exhausting to continue to have to get up two minutes into a show so you can return to your seat. I saw no one stopping people from entering up top.  Need to fix that.  

All-in-all, an enjoyable time here in St. Louis.  It was nice to see @DrumManTx and @BlueStarsDad again.  See ya in Indy.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, snare_guy_83 said:

then why use the word emphasis twice?

why not just say "there will be two music analysis judges now"?

seems very misleading if both are judging holistically. 

I really doubt it’s just a holistic look into music analysis since both judges disagreed quite a bit 

Looking at the BD recaps reminds me of that moment in the final match of Rocky IV...

"you see... you see?!... He's not a machine! He's a man!"

It's an honest competition and a whole lot of groups are participating in peeling top sub caption spots.  That's not typical for BD when they win.

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Looking at the BD recaps reminds me of that moment in the final match of Rocky IV...

"you see... you see?!... He's not a machine! He's a man!"

It's an honest competition and a whole lot of groups are participating in peeling top sub caption spots.  That's not typical for BD when they win.

They definitely look a lot less invincible this year. I still would bet my money on them and their design staff to pull through though

1 minute ago, just_another_fanatic said:

After tonight, it definitely seems like it's a three-horse race. But looking at the recaps, I think gold is going to be between BD/SCV-- they have no weaknesses, whereas Bloo's percussion might be the thing that takes them out of contention. Bloo's brass and GE scores might erase the difference, but SCV has a killer brass line and a GE-monster show too.

Excited for the upcoming week when we'll get a better picture of where corps fall into place. 

Yes, if SCV were there it is likely Bloo would have placed 5th in guard and 7th in percussion. That is not going to land you in the top 2. No way. 

3 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

You're proving my point lol. Both are judging one caption, Music Analysis. One is a percussion judge, the other is a brass judge. Emphasis isn't meaning they are only watching those specific sections. They are both looking at the whole music package utilizing their different backgrounds.

Is that also true for Music GE in an 11 person panel? One has a brass background and the other a percussion background? 

29 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Pretty surprised that Blue Stars topped Regiment.

im not. I saw both live at different shows.  Knew it would only be a matter of time.  Blue Stars horns are excellent this year and overall have a more exciting and engaging program.  They have a lot of room to grow as well.  Blue Stars are just so much fun to watch this year!!!   They make you smile

Edited by brians

4 minutes ago, just_another_fanatic said:

Given that, wouldn't a weak percussion score hurt the music analysis score? How can Bluecoats be 6th in perc but 1st/2nd in Music Analysis? 

The captions are totally separate and look at different things. Best example I can give is last years Crown. 1st in Brass, 1st in Music Analysis and 4th in Percussion. One of the big things Prosperie dinged them on in the percussion scores was the book not taking enough chances and expanding on the source material. They had a lot of opportunities to branch out and really challenge the performers but went the other route to keep it locked in musically. They got dinged on it by the percussion judges but the Music Analysis ones loved it as the whole package sounded great.

• Like 1