St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Huh? That's not the way it works. Corps clean throughout the season (& ST) - the only time you stop cleaning something is when you know "we're changing that next week" - so you focus on the parts remaining

Ok. Whatever.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Ever since 1990 Cadets, the winning trick has been avoiding true simultaneous demand.  Blue Devils have hammered that point home repeatedly over the past decade.  Do we expect judging principles to reverse themselves once we get past 8th place?

oh lord. I assumed you missed the opening of BD's show this year - when the guard is spread 0 to 0 with the brass players and they power  right out o f the gate spinning, playing and marching at north of 200 bpm  with insane demand and exposure? 

just because  they work to make something "look easy" doesn't mean it isn't difficult 

And  the 1990  comment - what an odd choice in a year to pick. 1990 Cadets had a ton of simultaneous demand (the most?) and WON. 93 Cadets - similar story. 94 BD similar. 91 Star similar. So the 1990 date is why exactly?

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, afd said:

Way to early to clean. Cleaning is DONE at the end of the season towards and after Atlanta regional. Changes to shows are now being in the works.

Exactly! Obviously corps are going to continue to clean sections of the show, but now is the time you listen to those judges tapes and make the necessary changes and improvements for Indy.

46 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Adding my pet peeve, in light of discussion about screaming. What is with the standing ivations after every show?  Not just DCI but every event where youth perform?  Its like the dreaded participation trophy!  I get that these kids wirk really hard. I reward them with spirited applause and financial support. But to stand for every show allows no demonstrable appreciation for the outstanding work and effort by a better corps. I only stand when a show really moves me or the overall presentation is at the top of the craft. 

I get your point, and it's not the same thing as a participation trophy, which I hate too.  Watching any corps perform makes me very happy that: 1) the kids are getting this experience, 2) they paid to do so, 3) there were many adults (from staff to volunteers and parents) who made the production a reality.  It's more gratitude on my part than purely about the performance.  A standing O during a performance is all about the greatness of what is happening on the field!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAtenhut said:

Exactly! Obviously corps are going to continue to clean sections of the show, but now is the time you listen to those judges tapes and make the necessary changes and improvements for Indy.

Um... they clean constantly.  At some point you stop making "changes" (perhaps still layering) and JUST clean. 

Interesting how some folks, when they see that kids aren’t facing as much adversity as they did back in the day, simply skip to the whole “participation trophy” idea as if it’s a relevant or valid concept. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Um... they clean constantly.  At some point you stop making "changes" (perhaps still layering) and JUST clean. 

I think that's our point. You're stating the obvious while missing the obvious. Haha! Corps that continue to make changes until Allentown will not seem as clean as others this early in the season. 

Edited by CAtenhut

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

I get your point, and it's not the same thing as a participation trophy, which I hate too.  Watching any corps perform makes me very happy that: 1) the kids are getting this experience, 2) they paid to do so, 3) there were many adults (from staff to volunteers and parents) who made the production a reality.  It's more gratitude on my part than purely about the performance.  A standing O during a performance is all about the greatness of what is happening on the field!

Maybe we are splitting hairs here. I stand for all the corps as well. Frankly to stretch but also to recognize all the hard work that goes into it - no matter the "competitive success" etc... 

However - the  SCREAMING at each rifle catch is inane. That's what folks seem to be complaining about  here - it is very narcissistic and not at all about the performer. Frankly its about garnering attention for one's self. Just like selfies, sitting on a guys shoulders at a concert,  or acting overly "moved" by a performance, falling around and wailing at the theater etc - it is a lesson in modern narcissism and not at all good manners. It's  rude. But hey - it's usually kids so I try to give them a pass unless it gets out of control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1